Isobel, Isobel, Where fore art Thou? Well, where is that Cardigan?

 

Leaves, lots of leaves, this is after two clean-ups already. This nut tree may be on its last legs. The squirrels are busy, as if they already know that this tree will likely be taken down next Summer.

I cannot believe it is November already in this years of firsts, lasts, and "if only's" Oh well. I did the last of my closet purge and donated almost all my Winter suits, blazers, jackets. I have a bit more space now but I think I gave away a black blazer that I meant to keep. Mmmm. So, here we go again, ha!

I do not have the time or the patience to tailor a blazer right now, even one with less structure so I ordered one from a designer I trust, we will see. Since it is sweater season I am back to the subject of the peplum cardigan. It is a bit "old fashioned" to the current styles but for me, it is a winner.

 IMO, one of the unsung hero's of the Downton Abbey series is the Isobel Crawly character, played by Penelope Wilton.  A young-ish widow who had to uproot her life to stand by her lawyer son who was to inherit a dynasty. A humble nurse married to a country doctor who dedicated her life to helping others, literally tossed into another class, another world. Seeing her sons struggles, managing her composure in competition with the family, seeing her son lost at war and returned maimed, recovered then killed in a car crash, she never lost her gumption and straight arrow personality.

Her wardrobe on the show was understated but elegant. The number one piece, for me, was the blue cardigan. Simple yet timeless it was copied by a couple designers when the series was aired, I saw it, I should have ordered it. I didn't and I haven't found anything similar. Couldn't even find a photo! Isobel Crawley - Saving the world one insignificant deed at a time since 9/26/2010

 Isobel Crawley's sweater, Season IIIThen, here it is! Not the best photo but this is it. What is not obvious is that there is a peplum below the waist, it is semi-fitted, and just so perfect for now. We all know that I won't be knitting this one, but I am going to draft a pattern that I can sew with a sweater-knit fabric. 

Here is another idea bopping around in my head, the Style Arc Lara Cardigan.

Lara Cardi Sewing Pattern By Style Arc - Fur finished figure hugging cardiganOnly available in Austrailia right now, shipping would be outrageous and Amazon has not picked it up yet. I will do this one. 

  • The kitchen delay (January 4th) has me re-thinking the entire Christmas plan for decorating, cleaning, entertaining. Yippee.
  • The son moves in next Friday, it seems like decades ago that the decision was made to move here. No one is more pleased than I. 
  • My Lola Bean is a stinker. More energy than every dog, cat, horse, or bird that we have had. I am thinking her Kibble might be the secret, not sure I can munch that stuff!
  • Have a nice weekend, our weather is mild, we have so much to be thankful for, Thanksgiving is around the corner and even with some adjustments, we still can celebrate.  

Comments