Be a Maker, Reuse, Redefine, Repurpose


Good Morning stitching friends. As I sit at my little work table, I am finishing up re-wrapping my small hoops. While on the search for this extra sheer bias tape I came across these little beaded baby bracelets. These are no longer in use, and probably for good reason, but they were so cute. Two little babies, two little bracelets. Very precious to me. Some things just have to be treasured, don't they?  

The Big Sister Maple, just little tips of orange starting to show.

Other items, not so much. I suspect I am not the only one with sweaters (jumpers to our friends across the pond) and unworn shirts that need a purpose, a re-do. With our restrictions as a result of the pandemic many of us are cleaning out drawers and closets. The video's below are provided to give you some ideas of how you can repurpose some items too good to toss that you can redesign.  

The next week showed a bit more color.

In my early sewing life I started by making doll clothes. Then family members started to pass away and relatives were loathe to discard perfectly good clothing. Well, She sews, maybe she can do something with this! And she did, for some time. Then one day while working as a student volunteer in the school library during a study period she heard the librarians talking and making fun of her clothes. She turned around while these miserable adults laughed and made no attempt to apologize. She went home and threw everything away. She was 14 then, and never, ever repurposed "dead people's clothes again."   

And then, the next week.

Lessons were learned. #1, you never know why certain people dress the way they do. Do not be cruel. #2, Use what you have. Do not support the disposable clothing industry. #3, Children need good examples, be that. 

The naked tree is still not uploaded. It is sad.

So, below is the collection of video's I wanted to share. I am sort of all over the place today, sorry. No sleep, lots of negotiating with kitchen people. 

Transform an unused sweater into...... 

An unused shirt into.... 

A crewneck sweater into a cardigan using a Serger! and a sewing machine, a zipper is involved.

Comments

Jeanneke said…
Back then you were a lady already at the age of 14. The older but not wiser were just women.

And oh, those baby bracelets! My first child was born in 1980 at home, so no bracelet. My fourth in hospital in 1984 and got exact the same lovely little beads beauty. But, one year later my fifth precious little one got the ugly plastic printed band and so did my youngest in 1988.
Only the 1984 bracelet is in my family treasure box.

Love and blessings from my heart and home to yours, my dear friend.

Jeanneke.
marly said…
Because of my height and the lack of tall sizes here, I made a lot of my clothes including both prom gowns. I didn't enjoy doing so. During Mom's years here and the constant dribble of food and drink, I started appliqueing and/or painting over the stains. Caregivers and family started bringing their blouses and sweatshirts for me to work on. A good way to save good clothes! Thanks for the links.