Tuesday Tea and Books

 

The last of the Summers Zinnias culled over the weekend. They were stunning this year, next year I will be planting even more. Such happy little flowers.

 Tea at reading time, late morning or early afternoon, is a respite, an escape, and a luxury all at the same time.   I also made a little pot of coffee today, not everyone is as avid tea drinker as I!


This coffee pot has a cute little bird atop the lid. I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of the Polish potters.

Today for tea, pumpkin bread, a new recipe. It is on Kitchen Chronicles, HERE.
 Please note, did you notice? The table cloth matches the dishes! I found a new Polish factory store in  Texas that had them. Only one size, ironically, the size I needed!

October has led me to branch out a bit with my reading choices. On the suggestion of a friend I started an interesting book by Nigel Slater. An English author, he has a rather interesting take on food, maintaining a pantry, and entertaining in this book. Fortunately, I didn't choose it for recipes although there are a few that pique my interest. I wanted to examine the style of his writing. This book actually has a journal format which I find unique. I am only about 1/3 through but I had to close it after the recipe for lamb necks braised with spelt. Oh my, there was no sleeping that night. 

Notes from the Larder: A Kitchen Diary with Recipes [A Cookbook] The second choice in the non-fiction category is a glorious little gem by Janine Marsh, it chronicles the life that she and her husband chose by leaving London and moving to the French countryside. From saving a dreadful little hovel of a house to rescuing dogs, cats, chickens etc. Their integration into Dunkirk area village is documented in a humorous and authentic style.

My Four Seasons in France: A Year of the Good Life by [Janine Marsh]Just into this one, I pronounce it charming. I have a little rule, if I am not engaged in the first 50 pages, I am out of here. I will not plod my way through a book if I don't absolutely love it. I will let you know by the end of the month. These are my tea time reads for the month.

The Oysterville Sewing Circle, by Susan Wiggs and A Single Swallow by Zhang Ling are still in progress. Both novels, are charming but my time has been a bit limited because at the end of the day I have been falling asleep. I know.  

*A closing thought, 

 The prompt of distracting ourselves often comes from our brains trying to avoid challenges, therefore searching for comfort in distraction. It’s our body’s way of protecting us. However, if we’re able to recognise these internal promptings that we know lead us astray and respond by refocusing on what’s before us, we’ll find them the best tool we have for pushing ourselves further and advancing our development.(Inspirations Newsletter)

Comments