Chowton, UK, the Home of Jane Austen

 Early in Spring I joined and online challenge to read all of Jane Austen's books before the release of the new novel by Natalie Jenner, The Jane Austen Society. Well, I stalled on the rereads after Emma, Pride and Prejudice, and part way through Sense and Sensibility. Just not enough time in the day! Austen, who died on July 18, 1817, at 41, is known for her six completed novels, among them the highly adapted Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. ... Austen's writing stands out for its comedy, self-awareness and realistic, detailed portrayals of characters and their relationships.Jane Autsen's House in the Village of ChawtonNot everyone's cup of tea, Jane Austen was something unusual in her time. Unmarried, educated, outspoken, she ruffled a few feathers. My kind of girl. 

Chawton House

Much of the Jane Austen Society centers around Chowton House and the humble "cottage" where Jane lived. 

Since I remain rather 'stalled' in the sewing department my spare moments have been spent reading, a lot. Still getting ready for the long nesting season, I have my hoop knitting project beside my rocking chair, I have one piece ready to be mounted in the needlework frame and I am sorting out lots of clothes I never wear anymore in hopes that someone can benefit. 

Next week is a busy one, each day is a doctor visit to prepare husband for his eye surgery, updating the alarm system, a visit from a kitchenThe Jane Austen Society: A Novel designer, (I am giving in!) and contractors for roofing the barn and repairing the concrete. 

So, have a lovely weekend, try to make time to be a leaf peeper, Pennsylvania is in peak or near peak right now. Take a picnic basket and a nice hot thermos of tea or coffee and have a little trip. There is so much we cannot do right now but there are opportunities to enjoy nature and the benefits of a change of scenery. 

 *the Jane Austen Society is a novel, based upon facts, and a total joy to read!

 

Bonne Journee'

 

Comments