Whole Cloth Backings

 

Good morning sewing sisters. I hope this finds you well and enjoying the last blush of Summer. I treated myself to a bit of retail therapy last week. Surrounded by fabric and tools and machines and happy people was sorely needed. Now, to use that fabric. I got my 108-inch backing fabric, lots of it.  I needed another pair of little snips, I left a pair somewhere, lost in space I think!

I cannot believe it is September already, the studio is getting ready for the Nesting Season. My embroidery project is plodding along, I am almost done piecing Hello Darling, my new wool applique book has arrived.  

This is the 108 inch wide backing I mentioned before. Several years ago I had some from a big box store that had a similar pattern but the quality was not quite the best. When I make a quilt, whether it is for this house, or another, I want quality fabric, not something that will fall apart after a few washings. The proprietor and I scanned her wholesale website to choose what we thought the larger number of customers would like. We ended up with these because of their almost generic styling. I like a little print to hide the possible bobbin flaws. Not that I ever have any!

I should have enough for two large quilts, two twin size quilts and two or three small ones. I am happy. 

I have no idea how this picture of the red fabric ended up looking brown. You never know, you know?

This one is "Hello Darling" without her borders, I think I will do a white inner border, a couple more colored strips from left-over Jelly Rolls and maybe another white. Not sure, I will have to see how it looks. She will get a red backing.  Using up the "stash," lots of layer cakes and jelly rolls

Well, that's all for now. I hope to spend about 4 hours wrapping this top up. I will likely do some practice quilting in those big blocks.



Comments