This and That in Sewtopia This Week, In the Kitchen, In the Garden, About the Needlework!

No photo description available.
The newly charted C. Many of the stitchers are substituting their family initials in their samplers for the originals that Jane used in hers.
We have been busy in the kitchen this week. I've been testing some recipes. Some quite good, a few others no great surprise and one sort-of-failure. 

The pasta dish was a quick make for luncheon guests. Not one to labor a point but it was a take-off on one of my Mother's stand by's that she called "My Dish." A staple at family dinners and church pot lucks it was tasty, filling, and well liked. My version amped up the tasted a bit. I published this originally on Kitchen Chronicles in 2011. This time I substituted Rao Pizza Sauce because that is what I had. I think it was better. See it HERE.

In the garden a lonely patch remains, raked and weeded, seeded and now totally dormant. The birds have eaten all the seeds. It will need to be reseeded. Such is life in the woods. Giving up the raised beds was very difficult. We had a history. Sometimes you have to let go.

Heirloom lettuce in  planter, not  quite the same.
Making bread, in vintage Pyrex dishes. Unable to find my favorite King Arthur Bread Flour, I was experimenting with an organic bread flour milled in Texas. It was OK, but not the King. As luck would have it I found some of my favorite and will use that this coming week. Change is difficult.

A bothersome flare-up in the arthritic hands has put the needle work on hold for several days. I did manage to sort out all the DMC, NPI (Needle Point Silk) for Jane, and only 2 skeins of the 6 ordered Au Ver a Soie arrived. Lost on a ship from France I hear. That is probably a good thing, I can't work on it right now anyway. The designer has gifted us with a mini alphabet sampler named Pretty in Pink. I will stitch it in blues. I cannot show it here because of Copyright issues, I will show some in-progress photo's etc.


A member of the Sewtopia household has taken over a section of the the Polish Cupboard for his own. For his candy stash.  A daily reminder for me of childhood visits to Grandmother. In her dining room she had one of those curved front glass cupboards to store the good dishes. On a high shelf she kept a candy bowl for when the grands visited. It was a treat for sure.  Much like the one below, the wood was dark stained oak. A classic. I'm not sure what ever happened to it.


The Jelly Roll.
On the quilting front it has been a bumpy ride. Our much anticipated event with Jenny Doan and Lynn Hagemeir has been postponed for a year because of the darn Covid. I am sure it was a good decision but I am very disappointed. So, to compensate I decided I will make a Christmas quilt this year. I wasn't going to do it but what the heck, I saw Lynn's new fabric line for the holidays and decided to give it a spin. Below is the contrast fabric. I think I will use Jenny's new Tile Style Pattern, video HERE!  That can change as you know. I ordered the fabric from Gloria Horn's new, efficient, helpful website. Delivery over a certain amount ordered is free and Steve gets orders out pretty quick.
 9632 13 Sweet Holly  - Evergreen Red  by Kansas Troubles for Moda


My Dream Herb Garden.





Finishing a cross-stitch strawberry, the professional way, by Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher HERE!

Comments