Meeting Other Stitchers in the Virtual World, The New Normal


In our ever evolving and changing world, our lives have been shaken up, particularly those of us who formerly enjoyed the company of other stitcher's in community groups, guilds and among friends. Adapting our interests to maintain the inspiration of others and the advice of those who are well versed in any needlework  medium,  is of vital importance so that we do not lose our enthusiasm and love of the needle. I have spent some very productive time exploring the counted cross-stitch world recently. When I committed to this project I realized that I need the advice and expertise of others. 

William Butler Yeats quote: ‘There are no strangers here; only friends you haven’t yet met.’ 
So, today I want to share some very nice online groups that have inspired and enthused me during the quarantine. 
  1. Who hasn't seen or subscribed to Inspirations Magazine? It is likely one of the most divine publications I have ever seen. I stopped my subscription some time ago because I got into quilting and well all know what happens then. Anyway, they publish a newsletter that shares so much wonderful information that I thought I would add it to the list. While not a group, per se, it has a nice feature where readers ask questions, voice opinions and share their skills. You can scan past issues and subscribe with email, HERE! 
  2. Now on to Facebook groups. There are so many. Of course, you must have an account, if you don't, sign up is easy. HERE! Most of the groups require a request to join, answers to two or three relevant questions, specific to the groups focus, and an agreement to their rules which means no foul language, no politics or religion, and no bullying. I run a book club or two where I ask the same rules. My groups have been private and I clearly state that anyone who breaks the rules will be blocked. Most group leaders so the same. It keeps the topic spot on. 
  3. Sewing Room Ideas. Who doesn't need a little help organizing and planning our spaces? Am I right, Check it out, HERE.  
  4. Sampler Makers is a lovely group of people who discuss and share their work. Questions are asked and answered by other makers who focus on samplers, HERE.
  5. Homespun Needleworkers, hosted by Julie Kursave, designer, is a charming group where charted needlework and embroideries are discussed. Julie often offers free designs too. Like many groups there are give-away's to entice you, HERE. 
I think that is probably enough for now, have no fear, I have more and will share them in the future. As our Summer proceeds don't forget to enjoy the little things. I recently read a piece ( In Inspirations. ) about a lady who kits up little projects to work on when she travels. She took the train up to London and in short order pulled out her project. A younger lady smiled, took her project from her tote and began to work as well. She explained that she is somewhat embarassed to work in public because it seems old fashioned. They briefly became good friends during the trip because they shared a passion. Don't let your passions slip away because of the isolation induced by this dreaded disease. Take it with you, take it along for the ride. Stitchers Remain Strong! 

Quilting groups next time? Oh yes.

Comments