Meet Jane Fiddes-1835

product image
Hands Across the Sea Samplers just released this reproduction chart for Jane Fiddes, 1835.

Enchanted, yes, that is the descriptor for how I feel about School Girl Samplers. Probably one of the best facilitators for this type of work are the Ladies of Hands Across the Sea Samplers. Nicola Parkman is the driving force of this little cottage business out of Cornwall, UK. 

She is a collector of valuable antique samplers and reproduces and charts them for us. Her patterns are amazing and comprehensive with the history of the little girl when possible and detailed, finely drafted charts.

Now, my efforts to return to cross-stitch/embroidery are struggling, but, I am determined. I am currently working on a UFO from several years ago and retraining my hand and my eye to the skill by working on Aida, a fabric with defined large stitching holes for my lowly needle.

Jane Fiddes was just released and is so popular because of the style and the colors as a fine example of its time. There will be a Facebook stitch-along as well to start in July. I ordered mine. It is worked in silk with a DMC conversion table. 

HOPEFULLY, I will be able to do this, wish me luck. 

Soie D'Alger Silk, beautiful colors, delayed from France, hopefully, it will be here by the end of May. The linen is a 36 ct cocoa, Weeks Dyeworks. It is mostly cross over two, I will need a new magnifier. Nicola thinks a "confident beginner" can manage it!

Did you notice how often I used "hope/hopefully" in this post? It does seem to be a theme lately!  


Nicola Parkman discusses the release of Jane Fiddes on YouTube HERE. 

I will dedicate this to my friends, Kathy, Lois, Denise, Shirley and Cheryl! They will know why!

Comments