February 2020, Tea Time in Sewtopia



When I first started celebrating tea time in Sewtopia our daily schedules were quite different than they are now. As a result, I have made some alterations. Since we most often have our dinner, the large meal of the day, at mid-day, the afternoon tea was bumping into dinner. Instead, we tend to have a light tea around 5 or 6 pm.  Often it is just a pot of tea and some fruit or small savory and that is just right. Older appetites change our routines but with minimal alterations, one of the finest moments of the day can still be observed.

In a post from Victorian Trading Co. today the traditional afternoon tea is explained. HERE! The recipe for this red velvet cake is there also! HERE!
 
   
My cake is a simple yellow cake (box mix) with a light lemon glaze.
I am fearless with baking, but in a hurry, this does nicely! I substitute melted Irish butter for any shortening or oil, milk for water and add an extra egg to any box mix. When time is short it is a great short cut that results in a surprisingly light, rich cake with a fine crumb.

We are all ready, dim lights in the window, fire started and water boiling in the kettle. It doesn't get more tea-time than that. Happy St. Valentines Day Tea. 

A simmering bowl of home-made mushroom soup warms the heart and the soul.
Miss Feathers out for a cleaning, an oil and a run!
  • No matter where we are in time, maintaining customs and routines are essential to our quality of life. Alone or with friends or family it is these daily celebrations that anchor our lives. As I have said before, there is no situation in life that cannot be addressed or solved over a cup of tea.
  • I have missed Sewtopia, days have passed where I try to balance my time. And I am going to try again. I cannot remember anything in my life that I ever gave up on, or quit. I will figure this out.
  • I want to embroider some Tea Cloths, yes, that is the plan!






Comments