A Retro Look, Some Downton Quips

My nature walk was really a quick one today. It is cold and I am cold and cannot seem to warm up! Therefore, no photo's to share. Instead, I was crawling through 585 drafts to the blog and came across this one. I am aching to sew. I pick the worst times. Hopefully, the new year will afford some open time to indulge. Downton is running on several subscription channels, I never cease to get bored with it. Right now I am crushing on Season 3 of Mrs. Maisel, love the clothes, this is my generation!Maggie Smith
Embroidery and Lace. Notice also the "onyx" necklace, probably 22 inches in length. A nice statement without the heavy collar of  jewels look. I am showing my prejudice here I think. I have not been able to embrace the over-the-top necklace look. I like it on other people, particularly younger ladies. I find I have a choking sensation with that much weight around my neck. Combine that with ample bosoms, and well, it looks like I am wearing a suit of armor.
Maggie Smith
Embroidered Trim plays a huge role in clothing for each age group, from the children to the Dowager.I wish we could see Granny's blouse better. The detail of the neckline is intricate. Many blouse patterns have surfaced the last two seasons featuring bows and adornment at the neckline.
Laura Carmichael
Fur trim is everywhere. I'll not ever be sporting a tiara or a blingy headband.
Michelle Dockery
While studying the fashions of this series I sometimes miss the story. I know. That is why I record so that I can back up and re-watch! Note the embroidered upper yoke on this dress. This can take a simple blouse or dress to another level. The embroidery can be tonal or contrasting depending on Your style. Incorporating these elements in your sewing provides a fresh palette even if you are making a Tried and True T shirt!

Fashion is a commodity that reflects the times and the spirit of life. The old sage..."everything old is new again" does have merit because one can see fashion trends in just about every decade. From the excesses of the eighties we evolved into the spartan styles of the 90's. Think of the Calvin Klein movement. Trim and tailored suits and pantsuits. Dresses with no adornment except a french dart! 

At the turn of the 21st century we started seeing ruffles again, lace, and embroideries. 

To my mind the Sewist has the best of both worlds. She can define her style and direction by studying the trends of the time and interpret them in her own way.     


Comments