The September Editorial-The Worst Enemy to Creativity is Self Doubt!

I stopped doing the editorial of the month posts some time ago specifically because I didn't want the negative political narrative to invade the space. I have set the security limits here to avoid that at all costs. So far all has been well and I am very happy.  I will continue here and keep it artsy!


I saw the quote I used in the title headline by Sylvia Plath on a blog post by Bonnie Hunter and quite frankly it is so true. As I was snapping some photo's in the sort-of-clean studio I was reminded of a bit of self-doubt. Well, maybe a little more than a little. In the days of my youth, my creative efforts were met with negative/mixed response. Intentional or not it merely made me more resolute to plan, start and complete a project.
I have a little planning station as you enter the studio. An "in" basket keeps reminders at hand. A stack of books or periodicals to be filed waits patiently while another stack has been pulled to mine for new ideas. This is my typical Sunday afternoon routine. Sometimes it takes an hour, sometimes just a minute or two. There is a white board out of view that tracks all these little plans.
Is it possible to minimize Self Doubt in your chosen craft? As we explore our routines is it reasonable to admit they might be too comfortable and provide a controlled environment for our craft? Our creativity can be stifled while we limit our attempts to stretch our creative muscles. Take the opportunity to try something new. Perhaps choose colorways that you have never used in your quilts. Consider rearranging your furniture to stimulate how you work in your own home. Take some time to document your process of growth. It can be eye-opening to look back, maybe a year later to see the impact of your exploration.
I recently took an online course in color theory. I believe I understand a bit more, we will see!
  • Have a fun Labor Day weekend, where did Summer go?
  • Is self-doubt affected your creative work?
  • Have you started your Holiday Projects?






Comments