On Thursday I Like to Share Some Little Projects

Old Blue is finally done. Yes, it is true! When one is working on a project in bits and pieces it seems to take forever. Today I wrapped it up. I needed to finish the quilting, add the binding and hang it up. Right now you see it on a door in the kitchen, up high, so the little curly one does not destroy it. 
For the quilting I tried a few straight lines, meh. Then I tried a stippling stitch, no. I started scanning the pre-set stitches on Destiny and tried a few before settling on this one. It is a large chevon.
My original plan for this was as a pillow but a wall hanging seemed more suitable. Each of those little flowers and other pieces are well fused but the friction a pillow takes in my house deemed it unsuitable. You can see the quilting stitches on this photo, they are not parallel, they are almost random.
A fun, rather mindless process, the contrast of the off-white thread ended up being a decision as well. Should I, shouldn't I? I did, I'm glad because it added a bit of texture with all that dimension from the cut pieces.
 Quite some time ago I learned to use a wooden skewer in a Martha Pullen class. It is a safe way to make sure any pokey points go under the presser foot and not over it! If, If, If the needle accidentally hits the skewer it will crack and is less likely to cause damage to your machine. Much better than sewing through your finger!
This is the back, a poly-cotton piece I had hanging around.

   After a trim and square up I mark the 1/4 inch line in a bright yellow marker. Then, using my Ovation serger, I use a 4 thread overlock to clean up all the layers with a nice sharp cut and mark the edge for the binding application.

Some time ago I added a large extension table to this machine. It is wonderful for a quilt and/or large flat piece work because it takes the strain and tension off the fabric pulling while you work. I also have a clear presser foot that works well or this application but it is on another serger and I didn't feel like getting up and switching them out. I know, it is sad. By this time at night, I was getting a little groggy. Please, bear with me.
 
 I just sew off one edge, turn and go to the next. Nothing fancy because all this will be covered by the binding.
Binding applied to the front, turned to the back and machine stitched in the ditch. I switched to a black thread for this step.
And Miss Lola says..." and I helped, no matter what she says!"
  • I so admire those who hand piece. I hear all the time that they are more accurate, particularly in intricate piecing, when hand stitching. Obviously, I need a lot more practice. Here is a nice little video that explains one expert's technique.  Yoko Saito pieces a Log Cabin Quilt, by hand. 
There is a story behind Old Blue. In 1976 as hard-working young marrieds, my Hubs needed transportation to a new job through heavy traffic. We didn't have enough for the down payment. FIL provided that. Years pass, Hubs wants a new truck, gifts this one back to his Father. Father uses its many years, then gifts it to our firstborn, who uses it all through college then gifts it to his Brother who used it all through college. Then, his dear Brother, our son passed away unexpectedly. First Son could not bear to let it go. He has kept it in his barn for 20 years. It still runs. Now he is moving back to be near us and YES, Old Blue is coming back to us. There was never any doubt that this would be my first Laura Heine project. Have a great day!

Comments