Garden and Nature, A Saturday Look at the Final Days of Summer 2019

On Saturdays, I schedule some outside work. I sweep and clean my porches, dust off the furniture, shake out the door mats. This is the time when I also look back at the last couple of months and consider what worked this year in the gardens and what does not. I have mentioned before that I have a serious deer problem. The only way I managed to get a photo of this last, one and only daisy, was I beat them to it. It is very discouraging.

We will hopefully get the re-landscaping done in Spring and have better luck with the new plantings. Besides the deer and turkey problem, all of our Spruce trees are damaged or dead from the fungus that has infected our area. My budget for the re-landscape has to be used to remove all those trees.
You can easily see the slight withering of leaves right now. We are scheduled for cooler weather and a bit of rain. That always seems to speed thing up. This photo, from the gardens of P. Allen Smith,  caught my eye because of the way the colors blend and how the blues and dark reds pop amidst the green. Beautiful.
  • I picked up some new batteries for the Nikon camera, hopefully, I will get some better photo's. But then again, maybe not 💓
  • I have been doing some machine quilting on the blue truck Laura Heine design. I changed my mind a couple times, did some ripping. It is a bit abstract. It will not be a pillow because all those little pieces I am sure will not wear well as a pillow. In spite of being quilted down, the little edges would likely lift. Therefore, we have a wall hanging quilt. I think.
  • A little chill in the air during my dog walk this evening. Another sign. Mother Nature has her own agenda.  




Comments

Terri said…
You will love this. The township picks up branches and woody waste a few times during the growing season. Well, when I looked out this morning I saw a deer grazing in the pick up pile. Oh well, still plenty for the city p/u.