I Am Not Alone, Ken Burns Also Collects Quilts!

I am an accidental collector, this one is another of the "Attic Quilts!"
 Do you quilt? Do you enjoy knowing about quilts and quilters? Do you know of Ken Burns, film maker, historian? Well, today I have a treat for you. Recently, the museum at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, hung a quilt show featuring some of the amazing quilts collected by Ken Burns. He has never publicly shared them until now. This is a brief video of the tour of his collection and the story behind it! HERE!
One piece printed muslin backing.
In the video he discusses the lack of provenance for most of the collection. He often stops at antique shops or road side yard sales finding these masterpieces hidden in a box. We have discussed this in the past. So many quilts, no information. He knows that most of them are family pieces, past down, stories lost in the travel. The quilt I am showing is likely from the 1950's made from fabric that had a prior use. The blues are all faded and the browns are as well. When I visit shops I am rather heart broken to see these lovely and loved bits of family history discarded like old bath towels. The time, the work and the heart in each one is a little piece of that person. I can't discard them. I even have pieces of shredded quilts in acid free boxes as memory pieces. What memories? Not sure but certainly someone's! As I work at the craft I wonder if anyone will care when I'm gone. Probably not so I do it for me. For me. As an expression. As an accomplishment.

I have several quilts in this pattern. Some executed well, others not so much.
I lived in Nebraska for 4 years in the early 1970's. Beautiful state, lively culture of farming, higher education and craft. The museum is now in Lincoln, the southern eastern corner of the state, I lived in Omaha, the middle eastern border.
  • Please take a moment and view the video, Ken Burns has an amazing collection.
  • One-of-these-days I plan to make labels for all these Vintage quilts.
  • Do you collect? How do you store or hang your quilts? 
 

Comments