Garden Girl.....Transitions of Life

Garden Girl.Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

Growing up every person I knew had a garden. Growing up my Mother and Father kept two large gardens, one close to the house and another beyond our small orchard about 150 yards from the house. Each one was special in it's own right. The one closest to the house hosted the "eating" tomatoes, various lettuces, radish, marigolds, and herbs. The larger garden held everything known to man and then some.

This was my dream layout. This garden eventually struggled because it was too shaded.
Our local Exhibit Farm hosted an outstanding herb garden for many years. It was exactly what I wanted. Well...that never really happened. I adjusted my dreams.

 
Remember this little guy? Asleep in the sun he was a character!
This stacked stone trough was popular with the roaming critters when this farm was owned by friends of my Fathers. Now it hosts flowers, petunias the year this was taken. 
parsley
I dry it, jar it and use parchment paper as a lid cover. There are tiny holes poked through the paper.
At this time of year the parsley grows abundantly. 

This year things are changing. I am moving to crocks and planters for the herbs. I have studied P. Allen Smith until I was blue in the face, I think I am ready. This is a melancholic move for me but I good one I think.

Dried Thyme bundled with a rubber band. I like to do this because as the thyme dries even more the band shrinks even more and holds the bundle intact. I store these bundles in jars as well. Handy when cooking.
Image may contain: text
My quote for the day! Have a great one!
   

Comments