The Week Ahead: The Garden, The House, The Kitchen, The Studio

My window on the world this morning. A Monday, cold, grass is wet, dog wants to run and play, it is 5:15 am. The sun is up now, the sky is red at the horizon...a harbinger of rain to come.
In The Garden: With a very busy week ahead I wonder how I will accomplish everything and that does not include any sewing! As I look out my dining room window I see the remnants of last years garden beds that will soon be disassembled, their soil spread and grass planted. This was a decision months in the making. I am moving to containers for my herbs and small plants. The gardener is weary of mowing around the beds, they are showing their age and have gone shabby. Therefore, they go.
The lone surviving French chive will be transplanted today. Poor little orphan, we will give you a new life in a nice crock!

House Maintenance: In spite of the cooler weather I know the warm winds are soon to come. That means having the house washed. When you live in the woods there is lots of dust, debris from trees and a bit of mildew on the Northern face. I am fortunate to have found a talented young man who uses low pressure and an organic solution to clean. He starts at the peak of the roof and works his way down. I can't watch. He is nimble. Then the awning team comes. By the time they string all new cords for the French shade it should be warm and sunny. Scheduling this annual work is on the list this week. Summer is on the way, this I know. That my friends is optimism!

In The Kitchen: In the Kitchen: Local grocery produce has been disappointing to say the least. At this time of year it seems that the vege are wilted or downright gone-off. I traveled to a nearby town to a prime Italian store that always has a better selection. I was not disappointed. First up, Leek and Potato soup. Perfect, clean, not moldy Leeks!! Leek and Potato Soup HERE. Beautiful cabbage, Swiss chard, asparagus, brussel sprouts. We are good to go!

An emergency side dish, Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole. 
On a kitchen note, I seem to have drop in dinner guests on a regular basis, on week-ends. I love the company. I have learned to have a few recipes as standbys, this is one of them. Quick, easy, enjoyed.

Mending: This week holds the first of the month, May 1st. This is still my go-to mending day. I have a pocket flap un-sewn on a black trench coat. In addition, several aprons have their pockets in a flap because a little four legged beast jumps up in greeting and tears them away. I am thinking the new aprons need to be made of Kevlar!

Quilting: I have one under the needle right now, I was experimenting with the thin framing border. I didn't quilt it on the long-arm and wanted to use some of my decorative stitches. It is half way through that process. Just not enough time in the day.

  

Comments