A Reading Nook for the Jet Lagged Daylight Savings Time Survivor

This quilt would be perfect draped over my chair for an afternoon read!
 I suspect I am not the only one suffering a bit of "jet lag" with the time change. As much as I prefer more light in the day, it seems to take me a week or two to reset my internal clock. In years past I would soldier through at work and at home because there really was no choice. Now however, retirement has afforded some flexibility.  I have read some interesting articles about this disruption to our internal balance and come away with a few suggestions. My first is to ease into the day after with a comfy reading nook, a pot of tea, and some good books and/or magazines to peruse. Reading heavy material rather caused me to nod off. So I kept it simple. Of course, this was Sunday afternoon after unexpected company arrived for dinner. A phone call to the local Italian restaurant took care of that by the way.


not my reading nook

So gather up a little lap quilt and relax. Here is what I have gleaned from other writers who apparently feel the same way!
  • Prepare. I did not do this. Several astute bloggers stated that they have learned from past mistakes to get a little extra sleep several days before the clock change. They pre-prep their meals so that they aren't tempted with fast food or something sugar laden. They make sure they are hydrated. Much like jet-lag, this Daylight Savings Time switch changes your metabolic clock just enough to make you feel blah, sleepy and sometimes even disrupts thought process. The poor sleep cycle tends to continue for a few days, sometimes a couple weeks. Get ready is their motto!
  • Recharge your batteries by spending a little more time outside, in the sunlight (if you have it) and breathing fresh air. It will stimulate your senses and when you return indoors some of the "fog" will have lifted. 
  • Relax. Read a little something, watch a movie you have been saving on your DVR, call some friends, pick up some fresh flowers at the supermarket and put them near your reading nook chair. A glance now and then will remind you that Spring is on the way and we know that is true because we changed the clocks ahead one hour!!!  

One of my side interests, Tasha Tudor. Jennifer Scott on You Tube discussing Tasha, The Private World of Tasha Tudor.

Comments