A This and That Post - Test #4

My reading corner, cookbooks abound!

As we step into a new year, may I encourage you to hold tightly to all that breathes life into your world, all that brings goodness and light, and all the relationships you wish to cherish and nurture. Open your heart to what is yet to come and let contentment flourish during your season of waiting.

Still in a state of testing here. I have been sorting cook books of my own and my MIL's. She had a large collection, some duplicates actually. She didn't cook, she read. I have my favorites, of course, and also those that I enjoy just to read because the recipes are a bit much for my skills!

On that note I was re-reading some pages in a charming French book and thought I would share a special little post I found about the same subject. Egg Poaching. To me, a rare egg eater, the perfect poached egg that I cook at home tends to be a bit elusive. My favorite is an Eggs Benedict Florentine I order at a local restaurant. That is my standard. Well, check out this little piece on how to poach an egg in cellophane, yes, cellophane. The eggs turn out looking like little flowers. HERE  Not Quite Nigella Blog.
poaching eggs  
I plan to try this, I have a little electric egg cooker that makes a decent egg but it is crescent shaped when done. I have a big fancy traditional egg poacher that I make eggs that look like terrible accidents. It seems that this is turning on to a quest. I will report back.
Photo from Shannon Ables post on her blog, The Simply Luxurious Life 1-16-19 HERE

This leads me to listing some not-so-good habits i seem to have taken to in the last year that I want to change:
  • Little pieces of paper-I have begun to copy husbands bad habit. I write notes to myself, reminders, recipes etc. on pieces of paper from sticky note size to small legal tablet size, put them in my desk and well, often forget about them. My desk, well, that's going to be a project for a day. Lots to shred, lots to file. 
  • The "I'll be back later excuse." This is about the sewing space. My sewing time is quite fractured since Lola arrived so I tend to work in bits and pieces. I get all I need to work on a project (and then some... particularly when sorting the stash for colors) then I need to leave. In my head I am saying I will be back later in the afternoon, in the evening...etc. I don't get back. Often for days and every time I walk past the disarray I cringe. I have always been very careful about cleaning up after sewing but that has been out-the-window since July 10th! Lola just can't be with me there, she is into everything and I can't concentrate and I am so afraid she will swallow something dangerous. So, not sure how I will accomplish this but it is always on my mind.  
  • Setting the stage for the next day. Since husband retired it has been troublesome to plan too far ahead. He gets really bored in inclement weather, not keen on being housebound. As a result we will impulsively go here or there to get out of the house. Not his fault, mine for not planning ahead. This is really complicated for someone who planned every day, all the time. I need to remember to set my clothes out the night before. Instead I am up like a flash when you-know-who barks, often in PJ's, I am out watering the dog. Ask the UPS man, he will testify. Since she is older (8 months now) I can take 5 minutes to throw on new clothes. I just need to break the habit.  
Remember pet lovers, a baby dog is a baby. Just like a baby human and your time is not your own. For about a year you will be the busiest you can be. But they are so darn cute it is impossible to not fall in love!

 Just look at that face! She is thinking..."what can I chew up now?"
  

Comments