Sewtopia Visits The Gentle Art of Domesticity-part #1

Here we are, the last day of 2018.
Image result for the gentle art of domesticity

Welcome 2019! A year full of promise, opportunity and creativity for those who seek it. Living your best life cannot be a passive exercise. You need to drive the process and search out what inspiration you require. I am always searching, always seeking other opinions to examine how one person can use a specific element to jump start their own course of life.

Recent discussions about "Your Season of Life" interest me because they often focus on age. Physical age. Of course, physical limitation does indeed frame your activities but as long as you can stimulate your thought process, examine the opinions and spirit of others, you have the opportunity to grow. And truly, for me, growth is essential to live a well rounded life. I refuse to slide into the Winter of my life until I am truly frozen in place!

Ongoing studies in brain science has proven, beyond a doubt, that an engaged mind is a mind that continues to function well into advance age. If you have had the unfortunate opportunity to witness someone you know slip into dementia, you know how horribly devastating it can be. Devastating and debilitating leads to the loss of that person, the one you know. Gone.

Whoa, that turned into some kind of editorial, didn't it? All righty then, lets look at this book and how it can help me tickle that curiosity gene that I am constantly attempting to pacify.

In the Beginning:
The author refers to these creative pursuits as the gentleness of the gentle arts. She purports that the feminists of the 1970's were misguided when they spearheaded the movement NOT to teach young girls the domestic skills. Cooking, sewing, knitting as well as efficient home management gave way to competition, glass ceilings and frenzy. These pioneers of the women's movement did not recognize that while seeking professional recognition, the gentle arts could also be enjoyed. It seems all or nothing was the mantra. I was of that generation. I did not abandon my passion for the gentle arts. Actually, I would joke with co-workers that I continued my professional career so that I could buy nice sewing machines and fabric as well as yarn and a lovely collection of cook ware and bake ware. As an aside, I became a Pampered Chef rep just so I could buy all the "stuff." Husband has still not figured that one out!

Sewing, knitting, quilting and craft blogs have given us an open door to enter the creative arts no matter what your current status in life. If you are working full or part-time, full time home maker, retired etc. there is now a large community to share your pursuit. Contemporary creativity is there for the experience. At one time (2005) the author wrote a blog labeled Yarnstorm, I don't see any active posts for her now. There are many Yarnstorm patterns available on Ravelry for the knitters.

  • As we (The group from the Jenny of Elfantz blog) read through this book and experiment with the domestic principals described I will report back here. Not sure if it will be a now and then thing or if there is a set schedule. I think it will be a bit of both.....
  • Since I tend to be a slow quilter, yarn worker and wool wizard I am concerned that I will not be able to keep up. .......   See how that little niggle worry sneaks in, I hate that. 
  • Notice I said yarn worker, my knitting is a bit of a disaster. I need lessons, one of these days. Offers have been extended, I need to focus. 
  • Next post addresses Creativity.

Comments