Still Crushing on Little Quilts!

A Prairie Journey: Small Quilts That Celebrate the Pioneer Spirit by [Tracy, Kathleen]
This is Kathleen Tracy's most recent book that I have fallen in love with. It is full of great photography, historical reference and superb directions for each pattern. I have only made a few small quilts in my time, mostly for table mats and this little book spoke to me. (available on her website) Mine was a very timely gift! Kathy's Website, Country Lane Quilts HERE! 
On The Docket:  It is my intention to do a block of the month from this book in 2019. I will be cutting "Kits" ahead of time so that I have NO excuse not to keep up. Kathy also has a Facebook Group that discuss her work and how they translate it to their purpose. I like to have a portable craft. The crochet blanket is getting too big to be portable. The Civil War pincushion is at the filling stage, can't be having crushed walnut shells all over either! Thus a new portable project is required. Then again the eternal English Paper Piecing blocks may have an end! Hold on, I think I know what I will do with them, how they will finish. Quilty friend Barb had a large cut of a pale yellow fabric that looks like the answer to my questions. Nothing like Quilty Friends! 

In Progress, Mini-log cabin, by Rose.
Many times in past posts I have mentioned my quilt gathering group, The Ladies of the Cloth. One particular member is an avid mini-quilter. She brought this little one last week to work on the binding. It is made entirely from scraps and each "log" is 1 1/2 inches. You heard that right. Itty-bitty!
Here is a little shot of the binding in-progress. Too cute. I am quite sure that I will not come close to Kathy or Rose's level of work but I am going to try. I find that the smaller the pieces, the more difficult it is (for me) to be accurate with cutting and with piecing.

  • Hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving and had safe travel.
  • With December looming I will be packing up the Fall decor this week. Normally I take a two week hiatus before starting Christmas. Probably scale back this year. 
  • I have great plans for next year. Not a resolution list. Plans. I will share as we go along. 
  • If you like mystery quilts, Bonnie Hunter is the reigning queen. Her annual, free for now, project has started posing on her website HERE, named Good Fortune. These quilts are amazing, many little pieces (more than I can deal with) and scrap based. If you wish to cut new fabric that is also an option. The color selections etc. are all planned out for you. Each week a new clue is released.
  •  I will be changing my routines around so that I can get some work done. Miss Lola is 6 months old now and adapting to my schedule should (hope hope hope) cooperate. My studio looks like a wind devil has been in residence. Everything I bring home drops there, every flat surface has items that don't belong there, and my projects are in stages. I dislike that so much. I normally spend Saturday's cleaning and planning for the week ahead. 
  • Christmas cards are traditionally done the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I make a nice hot cup of brisk tea, a few little tea sandwiches and a cookie or two and the hubs and I go to it. Sadly, my list has shrunken over the years. Much smaller actually and that is the hard part. Not to be maudlin but that is the state of things. 
  • Lets end with a smile. 
  •   Image may contain: dog and text

Comments