The Harvest In Sewtopia

A collection of Westerwald Pottery Pieces holds essentials, right next to the stove. The two very large crocks hold onions and potatoes. These were custom made for me, very difficult for the potters I am told because the lids were so tedious to form. I have had these for about 20 years. The small flour and sugar canisters are perfect for my purposes. I only need 3 tablespoons of each for my bread making and this saves me from lifting out the large storage containers. The small lidded crock in front holds dried sage leaves from the garden.
Well, for Heaven's sake, Fall has arrived in the Potager at Sewtopia. How did these last three months fly by? I was awake, I was busy, I was distracted I suppose. In any case, I am wrapping up the garden beds this week. I call these the "Forever Tomatoes!" Why? Because these little darlings did not start to ripen until the second week of August! That is the latest I have ever had to wait for a tomato from my own garden. Sunshine was scarce, rain was abundant, growth was painfully slow. Interestingly, the bush these came from was so heavy with water weary tomatoes we had to add wooden stakes all around the tomato cage because the whole thing kept toppling over. I waited so long for these, trust me, I was not going to let weight destroy the plant.
 This is one tomato bush, one. It took over half of a bed, just look at the Rosemary in the left bottom corner, crushed! Parsley in center, same thing.
Sage, beautiful, fragrant sage. I am drying sage leaves as we speak. I use the dehydrator function in my Breville counter top oven.
I keep a "chef's tray" on my stove top. Each of these containers hold seasonings I use all the time. Besides salt and pepper, I have dried, chopped parsley from my garden, a purchased Italian seasonings mix,  dried thyme from my garden, fresh garlic from a friend's farm as well as a couple spoon rests. I cook a lot. I got so tired of taking these items in and out of the cupboard. Of course, this collection of little containers are Polish Pottery.
  • I am hoping for a healthy Spring next year to change up some things in the gardens. 
  • Amazing discovery this year. I was having a terrible problem with blossom end rot on the squash. I did a little Internet search and found several discussions about calcium deficiency in the soil. The recommended treatment? Don't laugh...Tums! Husband treated the beds with about 50 Tums tablets each. (each bed is 4 x 8 feet) And guess what? No more rot, squash growth like never before. I may have mentioned that friends are not dropping by as much the last few weeks. 💣
  • My goal through Winter is to find a way to deter spiders. Living in this high foliage area seems to attract spiders. I have had too many bites this season.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
Osage orange, also known as monkey ball. I’ve been hearing about these as a spider deterrent. I hear a few in the corner of the garage does the trick. Bad news I have no idea where they grow. If I actually find any I’ll let you know