Having an Out-Of-Bobbin-Experience-Loading the Coronet with a Large Quilt

I'm dealing with a hot pepper here Sewists, I just cannot leave well enough alone, know what I mean? I keep trying to find a better way.

I have been studying several different You Tube video's and those offered by Baby Lock in the Love of Knowledge subscription to reconcile some issues I am having with loading a large quilt on to the Coronet. These are not "problems" per se, but functional processes that I am sure have a work-around I need to find. One must remember that a 5 foot frame has its limitations when working a large quilt. That said, for those of us challenged for space, it is the answer to many other home quilter issues.

While loading each quilt I have considered the "leader" method that I used with a prior frame. Because the top rail is intended for one layer of quilt only, (wrapped under the bar and clamped) I knew from the start that a traditional leader would not work. There is just not enough room to roll the quilt over that bar. That does limit the use of that bar to exactly as planned by the manufacturer.

I find that I need a good 8-10 inches of backing to feed that bar to anchor the quilt. Since I buy good backings or use pieced quilt fabric backing, that seems very wasteful to me.

Then I came upon a method used
by Cathy Brown where she has sewn a "tube leader" and fed it onto the bar then one attaches the quilt back to the "tube leader."  This has it's limitations for small quilts and small quilts "floated" onto the batting and backing. By golly, I think it will work!
Update:
  • Wrong, wrong, wrong. The fabric was all wrong, too light weight. I have scoped out the pre-marked heavy muslin leaders offered on the Handi-Quilters accessories site. Great, too much $ I think.
  • I am going to check Joann's for some cotton duck or something similar and try that. I can use a permanent marker for center lines, top lines and registration marks don't you think?
  • I also need to find something "grippy" to put on the back roller to keep the muslin from sliding around. 
  • I need to review the video and try again. 
  • Now remember the Coronet comes with only two bars. The function of the leaders would be slightly different than a three bar set up. My goal is to have more stability to the quilt sandwich on the back bar. 
  • I'll get back to you on all this. I am not sure how this is going to work, or not work.


 Outlander-Hopelessly Devoted To You!!

Comments