July Tea Time and 4th of July

My Shamrocks are in bloom. This dear plant is 4 years old, picked out at a check out line at a local market. It has thrived, nearly died and re-emerged more times than I can remember! I should call it a Resurrection Shamrock!
My Victoria Sponge is always a favorite for tea. Classic, non-pretentious, preparation easy. Frequently mentioned in BBC classic series, the Victoria Sponge is a cross between a sponge cake and a pound cake. This one is filled with Black Cherry Fresh Fruit Preserves. While it is a bit too sweet for my taste, it is well liked by some others. It is my Tuesday tea cake before the 4th of July picnic. 
The little table mat is a scrap of fabric left over from making one of my favorite aprons. I just trimmed it to size and pressed a hem, on the left bottom edge of the photo you can see the decorative stitch I used to hem the piece. I am determined to use  those decorative stitches, right?
This little pot is well used. It is a daily contender. It is an infuser type pot, leaves go in the integrated basket and strain when you pour. Since it is Red, it is the July pot of the month. Since this is a busy week, tea is a little toned down, I am reading a favorite magazine as I take a break, take a sip, and plan the rest of the week. Hope you have a lovely celebration as well. 

As many of us are preparing for the 4th of July celebration, I am hoping that all your sewing projects with the theme of the day are completed and you will have a moment to sit back with me, and have a lovely cup of tea and a piece of my Victoria Sponge Tea Cake.Missouri Quilt company

While our family event, also a reunion of my Mother's side of the family, will be held over the week end, I continue to set aside some time several times per week to slow down and consider how lucky we are to live in this country. You know I never discuss politics here but during those times I am keenly aware every day that those of us born here have been blessed.

I have unearthed all my Red, White and Blue quilts and decor to add a bit of spirit to the home and will keep them around, probably until Labor Day. That day is September 3rd, coming a bit more quickly than I prefer. By then Fall Decor is on my mind.

I remember a version of this from childhood. I never really thought that much about it, I just thought we were out of the ingredients to make a nice fudge frosting! This is a classic tea cake in the UK. Originally baked in a loaf pan and cut into "fingers" for easy handling at tea time. Over the last decades it has been converted to a round presentation. 
  • I loaned this book to someone, didn't write it down, no idea where it is. Need to find it 👀
  • I have a recipe for Banana Cake to try for August tea. That may be more my style.
  • I am working through lots of partically done projects by reusing or re-purposing  items.
  • Next week......Christmas in July.  Stay tuned!

Comments

ELMO said…
You are the second person this week who has mentored victorian sponge. Yours looks lovely, i'm intrigued, but I have a key lime pie in the que
ELMO said…
How big is the quilt on the rocker? I have the fabric for a log cabin quilt that is going to be an antique by the time I get around to making it. (insert shame face here LOL)