The Generous Heart and the Spirit of the Quilter

Quilty Friend Linda, her generous spirit in fabric.
Recently I read a blog post from a nationally known and acclaimed traveling quilt teacher that has settled in my head. She commented that a guild she visited was voting on a proposal to stop making service quilts and just donate some cash to a charity or two.

The teacher was dismayed to say the least. Now, make no mistake, her designs and books as well as travel are a full time job. This is her livelihood but sharing our gifts is a strong component of her life philosophy. She did not understand the reasons for their decision. There may have been more there that was behind the scenes, everyone has their own story.

Linda is a fabulously generous person. This sweet little quilt is just one example of her kindness. The Linus project requested a special size quilt from its participants to be donated to a special project. A local Quilt Shop owner donated these Dr. Seuss panels to help the project along. (she is also very generous) Linda took the panels and made a beautiful little quilt. After piecing then quilting it on her sit down long arm (she is really getting good with that machine BTW!)  she brought it to our Ladies of the Cloth gathering last week to share. 

 
 Some sweet little kiddo will be absolutely thrilled to receive this. A lovely lady will know that She has touched someone with her kindness, generosity and skill. I am so fortunate to have found this group of ladies. The lady who invited me is another member who is active in Linus and has been featured here before, her name is Pat.  Each member of this group has spent years making and donating their work.
  •  When I measure myself against Ladies like these I fall very short. Their talents have been honed over many productive years and often do not receive the recognition they deserve. 
  • Nancy Zieman was a pioneer in show casing Service Projects for the sewer/quilter. Bless her heart. Her loss to the quilting world will be felt for a long time to come.
  •  I finally broke down and bought a new chair for my studio! I have been using husbands old office chair for the last 10 years....he used it for 10 years prior!
  • The chair is hanging by a thread (of metal) to the pedestal. I have been very careful using it because if that snaps off....we will have a problem.
  • I plan to assemble it this afternoon. I am hoping this will help with the arthritic discomfort. 
  • Here's hoping your week ahead will find you inspired, productive and enjoying Spring weather.   

Comments