On This Mothers Day I Was Looking For a Rainbow but I Caught The Moon

Thunderstorm approaching, photo through sun roof, moon hidden behind clouds, this is mid-day! I was looking for a rainbow!
I have been doing my semi-annual folding of the antique quilts and this wee character was in the same bundle. This is a little nurse bunny. How appropriate! The quilt is the star here.
Made sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's from a kit, this is hand appliqued, embroidered and quilted. Handed down through the family, I am pleased to be the keeper. It was a wedding gift to my in-laws. *never washed
The Sister Quilt, same time period, same maker.

  • I learned about quilting in the 1960's from my Husband's maternal side of the family. His Aunt and Grandmother would spend the Summer piecing by hand and on an old Singer 99 set up in the dining room of their large four square home situated on a tree lined street in a small city. The bus line ran past their door, the local grocery delivered their food in wooden boxes and the church was a couple block walk. 
  • Everyone in that family quilted and sewed. In Winter they would set up the quilting frame in the living room and work through the bad weather quilting basic and meticulous stitches on their pieced quilts. They used flannel blankets as batting. They made utility quilts, warm, soft and reminding the user of a warm hug. Many were scrap quilts.
  • The lady who made these quilts immigrated from Czechoslovakia and spoke broken English. Her skills were more advanced and she had been doing needle work since childhood. 
  • On this Mothers Day I remember so many little things about these ladies, their hard work, their love and the legacy they have left with their quilts.
  • Happy Mothers Day!  

Comments