Visiting the Theme of the Year-Simplify


Because life in Sewtopia has been rather hectic the last few months, Christmas was a very Simple affair, decorating wise. I never got around to sharing what little decor there was and this photo reminded me that Simple was actually better. This little Feather Tree is decorated with some tiny Hallmark Ornaments given to me when my boys were young. For so many reasons this is my most precious collection. I have added some beads and such to balance out the trim but it is essentially as you see it. The Photo behind the tree are my sons, age 14 and 8. They were in full Christmas mode then!

The lamps are antiques inherited from Husband's Maternal Grandmother. FIL checked and replaced wiring and switches because they had dry rotted, the shades are new. They don't quite fit but I am still on the hunt for better ones.

Back to Simplify. I recently found a lovely blog Down to Earth  that speaks to my theme. It has been around for 11 years, where have I been? Rhonda Hetzel has written a couple books addressing her theory on The Simple Life. I am so interested and plan to study all the features there when time permits. 

  • This is the time of year I shop for greeting cards. I keep a small collection on hand so that I am prepared and don't need to run out at the last minute. 
  • This is the time of year I sort through my bed linens and towels. Anything worn or torn is relegated to the rag bin or recycle and I hunt the sales for their replacement. Since I use and wash towels all the time they last about a year. That's it. (I should have enough sheets to tear into strips and crochet into a rug for the bathroom off my studio. Don't laugh, I have done this a few times.)
  • This is the time of year I plan in earnest for the "project of the year." I need to address needs of the home and garden, estimate costs and project timelines. In the past I have replaced all our windows shut (if you have been here a while you will know that I had taped all my windows, inside and out, because of the stink bug invasion. I ruined all of our windows.) After I did the windows the doors were looking shabby, so that was next. Re-pointing bricks, replacing all soffit and facia and support columns came next. Last year a new gutter system was added so that Husband does not need to climb a ladder.  
  • This year my plan is to re-landscape. The deer, as cute as they are, have totally destroyed our ever green plantings. Everything. So I am working on a sustainable plan that is deer resistant. Good luck with that. There may need to be a new wall built as well. In addition, the raised garden beds may need to be re-thought.    
  • My other organizing project is to refresh my Control Journal. My lifeline, this simple notebook has every name, phone number and contact on paper. I always fear a loss of computer access and want it all, right in front of me. In there I also have my working plan for cleaning and maintaining my home. Collections being what they are need to be inventoried and photographed as requested by my insurance agent. Replacement is not possible without photographic proof I am told. Yikes.      

The Chicken and Dumplings have simmered away in the slow cooker and dinner is ready.
While all this "planning" may not seem to support the Simplify theme it really does. Knowing each of these elements, and many more,  are in place allows me freedom to do other things, particularly sewing. My sewing life has been non-existant for about two months. The time ahead will not be less complicated but I miss my time sewing and quilting and am determined to Simplify my life so that I can do something so important to Me. If I have little or nothing to share with you Sewtopia will have to go into limbo for a while and I don't want to do that.

Sooooo, off I go work on some of these projects while I hope you are sewing your little hearts out! Have a lovely day. Enjoy the sparkling sunshine even though it is still cold. BTW, the deer spent the night on my back porch and patio bless their little hearts. Their world is going to change too. The joys of living in the woods!

Tomorrow: continuing the 52 week photo project, The Home. See you then. 

Comments

Beatrice Wins said…
my head (along with other body parts) would explode if I tried to be as organized as you. But, something to aim for...
celkalee said…
Interesting, during the studio clean up I found a white board from 20015, it had a plan on it and a list. Or two. Everything accomplished believe it or not. I cleaned that thing off and hung it back up...I need reminders.