THAT Time of Year, Need New Aprons

Yes, this is number one! Has been for twenty years. 

If you have read the Sewtopia Blog for any time you already know that with Lent approaching I am going to be a busy bee. For many years I have worked in our Church kitchen breading fish, lots of fish. We tend to bread 300-500 lbs per week. Yes, I know.

As in the past that means new aprons. I am an apron loving woman. Wear then all the time at home, wash them until they are literally threadbare and falling apart. Pockets are essential. I have a few favorite patterns, of course, but I may just step out of my comfort zone a bit this year. I need to get rolling here, Ash Wednesday is coming up quick.  

This is also the time of year that I literally strip clean my house. A penance of sorts I suppose. While many do this type of cleaning while putting Christmas away, I have to tell you...I am so darn tired after Christmas that a cobweb or two means nothing to me.  

My absolute, number one favorite apron of all time is this one above. Simplicity # 7451 from 1997. Laugh not my pretties, it is perfect, in either length. Currently selling for between $40.00 and $88.40 on ebay. Just in case you are interested! Simplicity re-issue 5201 is essentially the same apron, only $39.99 for this pattern.
S8230 is just new to me. It is a smock-cobbler style apron, I will make at least one of them. B5263 has not been sewn yet either. There is a story with this one. I had the pattern for years, it got mixed up in the bin with suits and formal dresses. What? I haven't even thought about making either in some time. I bundled and separated my patterns years ago to avoid such an oversight. Well, long story short. I met a young woman who was just learning to sew and she showed interest in this pattern after I had found it again. I gave it to her. As far as I know she has never looked at it again. (lesson learned) Why.....? Well, it is OOP and I want to make it so I found it on Ebay and bought it. It is uncut, envelope a bit tattered. Mine was perfect. Mmmmmm. I will make this one! Who says you save money sewing? who?

The standard chef's apron is also totally wearable but the long ties get all twisted up in the wash. I hate that, I am always untangling strings even when I double tie them to avoid that. I will likely whip  up a couple of these because they are easy. I need easy.
  • the next time I decide to give away a pattern someone stop me! 
  • I know someone having a huge sale on fabric. I was not going to give in but I need apron fabric, right?
  • I will use up a lot  of left over scrap bindings on these projects. I have a box full of them.

  

Comments