My Secret Love, Elmer (School Glue That Is!)

A Fall Theme Panel Quilt framed with a 6 inch blue border and then a 14 inch striped border. I added another trim border at 2 1/2 inches sort of breaks up those stripes. It measures finished at 72 x 102 inches. Isacord thread top and bobbin, warm and natural batting.
My normal procedure after quilting is to square up and rough trim the quilt. I am not sure how I managed to NOT have a wavy border on this one after all the un-stitching, etc. I then rough trim the quilt to within a half inch of the edge then trim even with the edge using a four thread overlock on the serger and trimming as I go. Why, you ask? Well, I like a nice flat even edge. I find that I sometimes get a wobble using a straight stitch or even a zig-zag. The serger lays down a nice layer of flat thread that trims and secures the edge, no wave, no wobble.
A scrappy French binding is called for here. I take all left overs from the project and cut them into 2 1/2 inch strips. I then randomly join all the short ends and make a long, long tail of 2 1/2 inch strips. I press them in half, wrong sides together and then I run them through the serger too. I have only done this a couple times and will likely continue. I have always basted the binding to keep it from stretching or shifting during application but that was sometimes hit and miss and the darn under layer would twist. This way, same thing...nice flat trimmed fabric. No shifting during application.
The serger cuts the fabric as it stitches and multiple thicknesses are not a problem.
So lets put that binding on! I have read about the multiple uses of Elmers School Glue in quilting but have not done too much with it. I took an on-line class about my sewing machine the other day and one of the projects used the Glue the Binding Method. I had the glue, I knew what to do, so I jumped in. On this quilt I attached the binding to the back and turned it to the front. I pressed it well, lifted the binding, applied a thin thread of glue, pressed it down until dry and clamped it.
I'm in love. This worked so well I cannot believe it has taken me so long to try it.
 
I like the small clips and the medium ones but the large ones...for this use, No. Too big, too bulky, the surface of the clip isn't as secure as the little ones.
Using the inside edge of the foot and the laser beam I attached the turned binding with a decorative stitch. In the decorative stitch menu it is 11-22, w=4 and L=2.5.
Sorry for the blurry photo, telephone picture, camera was up two flights of stairs and I was tired, starting to fade...remember I had been up since 4:30 am. This is a simple blanket stitch, I wanted a stitch with only forward motion. Most of the decorative stitches go every direction and I did not want to spend that much time or thread on this quilt.

  •  I like machine binding. The entire quilt was bound (not including making the binding) took about 1 hour. My hands don't hurt.
  • The bonus is the Elmer's School Glue Method. I am all over that. So easy, so neat, so easy to attach the binding without shifting and slipping.
  • I still have to make a label. I bought some new soft-wear to make in-the-hoop embroidery labels but just haven't had time to upload it and play. Soon.  
  • I like the little and medium size Clover Clips for this binding method. The big ones are too big. Need to find another use for them.  
  • I'm off to a Bridge Re-opening Party. Long story short, we have had a culvert bridge closed for 15 weeks. It was supposed to be 4, no more than 5! The community rallied, petitioned legislators, called the news media etc. and got some action. Now, the detour that cost me an extra 20 minutes for every trip and an extra tank of gas per week is done. We are having a party in a garage that has lost 30% of their business because of this. People have lost jobs. We have food and a live band. It was sort of my idea. On Facebook. I must be there to cut the ceremonial ribbon!I am hoping we have some patio heaters, it's cold outside!!!! 
  • I am not a show quilter. I quilt because it is fun. I quilt because it is meditative. I quilt because I want to. You do not need to be a competitive quilter if you just want to learn a skill and have fun. You don't need a high end machine to do it. Any machine that does a straight stitch will make you a great quilter. I admit to having an issue with machines, it started when I was 9 years old. Can't help it. I document what machines I use because machine questions often come to me via email. You don't need laser beams etc. a simple mark on the flat bed of any machine will guide your stitches. So have a great time, inspire, create and most of all finish one thing, then another after the second piece you can officially call yourself a quilter. 
    Happy Dance,  Happy Dance!Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Laying down the asphalt, light snow flurries too.


 

Comments