The Free Motion Quilter!


FYI-this post is out of order. It was one of those lost in the files from a couple weeks ago. So, here we go.....pretend it is early September instead of the end of September  💥
A Happy Light near my sewing chair.

As I am writing this post it is 9 PM and I am drinking a scalding cup of hot coffee. Probably not  the best decision of the day...it has been a long one. I wanted to finish a book I was reading last night and wrapped that up at 3 AM. Up at 7:30 AM because I have an internal alarm that always works between 7 and 7:30, sometimes earlier.

I had many things to do today and I wanted to get a start before I reach my I can't believe I am so tired slump that normally occurs around 3 PM on a good day!👵

We picked up some wonderful peaches, 12 of them, and they needed a purpose right away. They were beautifully ripe. So, a peach tart was in order. I also needed to cook/pre-cook dinner for today and tomorrow to free up some time tomorrow to clean Mondo for the next trip. I just have to wipe the floors and put in fresh towels, no big deal but I don't like to let that go until the last minute.

It has been a free motion quilting day! I have been practicing my favorite designs on the Coronet to try to get a sense of the machine. I have to be careful because sometimes my eyes and the design I want to do gets ahead of the machine then I stitch too fast and make boo-boo's. Since this is a practice quilt I am not worried about crossing a design line now and then or making a wonky shape. And there are a few, just so you know. 😀I am not one to pretend that my work is grand, quite the contrary, it is maudlin. I am not a show quilter, never will be, I just like to do it. Ta-Da!
I made this little mini-quilt some time ago. My bias binding was really not bad considering how long ago I did this. It was in the early 2000's, during my Victorian infatuation decorating phase. Now I place it under the primitive bowl and berries. a professional decorator would cringe, I tell you, cringe.

I spent about 3 1/2 hours today, just practicing. Not intricate designs mind you, just feather practice, lots of doodling and learning to fill spaces and travel on seam lines without looking like I was asleep while working. The arthritis is pretty bad the last two days, not sure what that is all about but it did not worsen with the quilting work and that is a really good thing.
Coronet 16" Long Arm Machine and Frame
I need to take a picture of my machine one of these days.
 The machine is super easy to move on the tracks. It actually glides. Therefore, no stress on my fussy joints.
  • I hate piecing backs...there I said it....drives me sort of nuts. So husband took me to my regular shopping haunt and I bought what was left of a bolt of extra-wide backing. See, I'm not difficult to please!
  • I did what I said I was not going to do, I pre-ordered the new upgrade for Destiny II. I was going to let it go and put it on my "someday" list but decided (after much conversation with other DII people) that maintaining all the updates and upgrades can only be good for my work and for the value of the machine if I decide to trade it in and buy a car or refurnish the house.. A slight exaggeration but not too much. The machine has a large amount of computer space, even after the updates and upgrades, and this was intentional. Baby Lock designed the machine so that it could be enhanced regularly to expand its function.     
  • I really miss my dog. Lucy always helped me work. It is just not the same. 
  • OK, now I'm going to trim some more of those layer cake blocks. Since I have cut myself twice in two days doing this I might have another cup of coffee before I start. 
  • Hope you are having a wonderful day!
Just had to share this, it hangs on the wall near my serger. It is a picture of my Mother, age 96, when she lived in an Assisted Living Home that decorated for all the holidays to keep the place cheerful for the residents. She is standing with one of those life size Santa dolls. The best part is she wrote "Mother" and pointed an arrow to herself so that I would know who was who. Isn't that a riot? She had just been featured in an article about miniature horses visiting residences like this to cheer the residents. She made the front page, her and the horses. What a hoot. If there was a camera around she was photo bombing!


Paisley Feathers See the video, I plan to work on this tomorrow.

Comments