Modern Angles and Old Fashioned Big Stitch, Contrasts in Quilting Styles

Surprise, surprise...More Quilts! I tried to capture a few of the unique art quilts for you. There were several that I didn't get to before the crowds hit. This one was a winner. The maker was liberal with contrast and color. I think this is the nicest of the group. 

This modern interpretation I have seen in modern as well as traditional fabrics and and each lends a totally different style. I can see this one in a glass walled sky loft.

Isn't this the sweetest thing? Traditional design, bright colors, expertly done.

Color explosion! These abstract blocks are dynamite!

And now a favorite, a traditional nine patch surrounded by borders and stitched in big stitch. The borders are vines and flowers and berries.
Look how nice this is! Beautifully stitched in black thread these blocks are happy pops of color. The big stitch was popular in the 1960's when family members were doing lots of 'utility' quilts. To me they were comfort in fabric. Kindness and hugs from ladies who loved to make things. The Big Stitch is a memory that I cherish. 

Comments

Jeanneke said…
Thanks for the beautiful pictures; I enjoyed your 'exhibition tour'!
I love the big stitch quilting in/and the nine patch, too.
Cheers,

Jeanneke.