So Lets Look at Some Patchwork

I made my first patchwork quilt in the mid-seventies. Pretty basic, it evolved as simple four inch squares sewn in an "Around the World" layout. I was rather proud of myself because up until that time I was essentially a garment maker. The women in my family who sewed were not quilt makers. They felt that quilting was old fashioned. Now, in future Husband's family garments were made but the quilts were amazing. For example, his Grandmother and maiden Aunt would piece quilts from early Summer until after Christmas. Then the quilt frame came down from attic storage and was set up in the living room. Right inside their front door. Two wooden chairs were parked on either end with a little table between that held the necessities. They would quilt all Winter, every Winter for as long as I knew them.    
I am always in awe of those quilt-makers who piece intricate and complex pieces of fabric to make these jaw dropping pieces of art. I can stand at a quilt show mesmerized by the skill. But truthfully my heart belongs to traditional basic patterns. Show me basic piecing in fabulous color and I am all over that. For example, look at the first quilt in this stack. Terri worked this little beauty with one of my favorite fabrics. How can you not feel happy and comforted by something so pretty? 

This quilt is the perfect example of make-do. Our Tuesday group is in the middle of a Service Project and a  Stash Reduction Project at the same time. Betty Jane is a master at projects like this. She has taken all these fabrics from her stash, laid them out to come up with this beautiful, colorful, patchwork quilt. Who ever gets this will be thrilled.   
Terri has latched on to the fun of patchwork as well. Using a charm pack she made these sweet little placemats. I totally love, love, love striped bindings, don't you? They add visual texture and a dimension to any piece.
And here is the ultimate patchwork. Just look at how our Rose has combined all these totally disparate fabrics to create this beauty. Such fun. Note the animal prints popped here and there.

And last but not least the nine patch. Who does not appreciate the lowly nine-patch? Another made by Rose project this one will be a traditional study of the design. With alternating light and dark centers the nine patch is a versatile design that takes its queue from color.

  • I  first became attracted to quilting by traditional color and design. It is likely my passions will stay there even if I delve into modern settings now and then.
  • I miss those family members who so inspired me. When I look at their quilts I feel their love.
  • I will work on a Service Quilt this afternoon, calico fabrics, talk about a flash back.
  • My Go cutter has made the cutting of so many squares so much easier, more time for sewing.
  • Sew a few stitches each day and your troubles will melt away. Hopefully!

Comments