Just Have To Say This

Dear Rose and Mt.Rainier, quilting removed for a re-do. I am lucky I can something finished let alone re-quilt it!
This little commentary has been popping around in my wee head for a while and I keep postponing it because it niggles. I don't want to offend but my decision will affect the blog. Let me explain.


First off, I don't want this to sound 'rantish.' Because it is not. It is a long considered observation of annoyance. I fully understand what a boon the internet has been to the small business person. Not just those who sell a product on a website. More power to you. I am thinking about the otherwise  beautiful blogs. Most have sidebar ads of sponsors. Those are  really helpful in the sense that the sponsors most often reflect the blog content. They provide links to products and services that enhance the viewing.

My cringe-worthy moment occurs when every, I mean every lovely photo of home decor or project is contaminated by pop up ads. Ads that run across the bottom of the photo, blinking and winking and those that actually obliterate the photo with their drivel. I have decided to delete those from my email, Facebook and reader. They annoy me that much. Of course, these bloggers use these adds as a source of income and that is their prerogative. It is mine to avoid them. Good luck to you.

And then again we have a copy-right dust up over at Quiltville again. (from this post to..... )This is getting to be too much.  The Quiltville Facebook page was a contentious and vitriolic example of how NOT to behave online. Bonnie Hunter provides wonderful free content on her blog. In spite of the free moniker there are strings attached. Well ropes exactly if you end up in court. At least once every couple weeks I am reminded of copyright issues among designers and bloggers. I strongly feel that the designer has rights to their intellectual property but I am very nervous about how I represent that.

As a result I don't think I will post work shared anymore.  Even with the appropriate links back I am sensing a slippery slope for the blogging community. This will change blog content because I only have so much time and effort on my own to come up with so many posts. I am not sure where I am going with this but it may be a once a week schedule. It is not what I want but I need to consider all of these issues and the potential for disaster. The issue at Quiltville was related to Bonnie's most recent Free Quilt challenge. One element of the block construction was complicated and many, many quilters commented on Facebook Quiltville how frustrated they were. As a result, one of the members made a little U-tube video explaining her method of construction.  From what I can see from this side of the world it was an innocent gesture. Not a way to make money, or undercut the designer, Well, saints preserve us the Bonnie Army came out in full force with swords drawn. It was pathetic.   I do not want my online reputation ruined by such behavior.

So, let me work this out for a while. If you see nothing here for a couple days be not concerned. I am sifting it around in my head and in my heart. Thank you all for reading every day. I am lifted by your loyalty and I hope you understand the situation.

ADDENDUM: 2/6/15 A recent discussion on the Primitive Stitch Society Facebook page illustrated a case in point. A designer, with a sterling reputation, was found to have forged designs from another designer without permission or credit. Another poster had noticed the design was exactly the same as someone she knew and had purchased designs from her in the past. This person fears her reputation will be tainted by the stitching community by referring others to her projects. Now 3 or more people are trying to neutralize the situation, sad. The photo's posted show that the design was directly copied and sold as original. Thieves are thieves.    

Comments

Jeanneke said…
I fully understand the situation and how you are feeling! And I agree.
So glad I'm not the only one.
You're a honest and brave woman and I think you have brought it to our attention in a very honest and brave way.
Thank you!
Blessings,

Jeanneke.
Jeanneke said…
I forgot to say I love your February motto!