On a rather dreary day I decided a field trip was required. Nothing related to fabrics or quilts or thread or cross-stitch. Polish food. I packed up the Hubs and his Mother and off we went. A little red light should have gone off, it might have but I wasn't looking.
I went for specific ingredients to make the Lenten pierogi. Gathered up my little basket, gathered my special flour and imported Farmers cheese and headed to the front of the shop to check out. Along the way the dynamic duo were oohing and ahhing over the imported chocolates. With Lent coming and all that chocolate deprivation I am facing..... stocking up might not be the best idea! I am going to hell in a hand basket people, I really am. If I don't get there on my own I think they will pave the way for me.
Well then they needed lunch. OK, how many ways can one little old lady confuse and confound one sweet little Polish girl surrounded by noodles, cabbage, sausages and pierogi? You just can't imagine. Shortly after her shopping basket toppled off a packing crate that she had commandeered spilling contents hither and yon, a decision was made and the cook went to work.
Now, in the meantime we must order up the cold cuts and sausages to take home before we are ready to check out in case they run out. Run out? Ladies we have half of the Polish national economy tucked away in this little shop, there is no running out. Of course, the check out lady would not relinquish the said deli meats until the customer is ready to pay. Indignation is starting to surface. You know, the running out the door without paying scenario? In the middle of this kerfluffle the number is called, number 11 to be exact, and the food is ready.
Like herding animals to the watering hole the food is paid for and retrieved from a little window handed out by a smiling lady with broken English. Thank you. Food consumed, wonderful and NOW we are ready to check out. As happens at times like these there will be mix ups at the register because the formerly cut meats are now mixed up in one big pile. The separation of the two piles becomes something of a United Nations conflab. With the Polish, the English, the Hungarian, and something else that I could not identify we finally came to a conclusion when MIL thought we were being accused of not paying for our dinner. Picture this if you will. Now let that go.
So to honor the Tuesday teacup, I came home with this.
- Sorry for the photo, battery in super camera, dead, battery in point and shoot, almost dead. I need to be a better camera steward.
- This is actually the second of these little cups. In my zest to kill all the germs generated by the flu bug in this house I pulled out the big gun, Clorox. It seems that the paint on these little Polish wonders does not tolerate Clorox, thus I needed to replace it. Thankfully the cheap IKEA cups held up well, really well.
- No good deed goes unpunished. A dear friend, since passed and enjoying life behind the pearly gates I am sure, used to say that all the time. The context of me saying it is not relevant, just appropriate.
- I had to re-pierce my left ear, hurt like the dickens, don't know how that happened.
- Lucy fell down the steps the other day. No injury. She is getting old and stiff like her Mum, poor old lady dog.
- Title quote from Maggie Smith, Granny, on Downton Abbey, she has the best lines!
- I was watching some old Frasier re-runs the other day while (gasp) ironing. Other than the big shoulders and way too poofy hair some of the nineties fashions were not so bad. OMG I just realized that I may be in worse shape than I thought! Have a great day.............
.
Comments
Love your Matrushka teacup. I have a small collection of three Matrushka sets. One is very old and containing four dolls, I bought it at an antique / brocante market in Amsterdam, one was a gift from friends -souvenir of Petersburg in Russia-, the third one is a modern set I bought in Prague seven years ago; I treasure them all.
'Enjoying life behind the pearly gates'..... Isn't that beautifully put?
Blessings,
Jeanneke.