A Little Wednesday Weirdness

In my quest to save as many dried onion skins as possible for dying fabric and Easter eggs I dug down into the bottom of the crock and look what I found. A whole, essentially intact onion, desicated from the inside out.
The root end shows some nasty molding. Interesting to me is that rotting onions usually emit a very foul odor. This one did not. It is totally hollow. Husband picked it up to give it a toss, thus the dent. A miracle? Could be.
 Part of the collection of dried skins. The colors imparted to egg shells is glorious. I haven't used the onion broth to tint fabric for a very long time. Soon I will give it a go. Need a few more elements. And of course I need to find the piece of linen tucked in with the heirloom sewing supplies.

  • Natural dyes are the only ones we had in childhood. Beet juice was always a good one.
  • Keeping the onions cool in my stoneware crocks does prolong their shelf life. The crocks have a natural protection from light, the little air holes keep circulation going and the thick pottery clay seems to retard spoilage. I am not sure what happened to this one. 
  • You know Winter is wearing if I get all excited about a sort-of rotten onion. Hold me down!
Today's Links: 
Have you visited The Middle Sister? Quilting, Needlepunch, Wool Applique Oh My! 

Alicia Paulson lives in Portland, Oregon. It is Spring there! 
 
A cute project using mens shirts.

Marly has a new finish. Inspired and amazing!

***My Background Music Today: Al Green, I'm STill in Love With You!

Comments