Part Two, The Notions Case, the ONE Advantage of Illness

If you know me personally I am not a good sick person. I suspect that spending my entire adult life tending sick people I have seen it all and do not want to be part of it. I am almost numbed by television, thankfully DVR and On Demand can ease that a bit. But I am a restless soul unless I have a good hand project going. And I do.

Yesterday I showed the Notions Case in progress. After using the Wool/Acrylic thread to do the blanket stitching on the edges of each piece I was not inclined to use it for the appliques. I changed to Black DMC and some DMC Pearle. Much easier to stitch through the fabric. The wool thread has quite a drag to it. Keeping the stitching primitive was a bit of a challenge because I kept tearing it out in the beginning then caught myself. It is supposed to be this way. From what I remember anyway.
My favorite motif is the little hand. The Primitive style is apparently what this little project is all about.

I ended up not using all the motifs. Quite frankly I don't know where to put them. That said. Here we are with the outside done, except for some buttons I want to add. Can't have a bird with no eyes! Today I will sew in the lining, turn it then figure out how to attach the two plastic notions bags as well as a needle keeper and pincushion,  most likely a scissor keeper as well.

The advantage of being sick is that I had the entire afternoon to puttle away on this without guilt. Normally I would never do this. It looks like it might get done before Christmas 2016 :)))))
  • working with a "kit" has its advantages, and disadvantages. First, wool quality. While this kit had a nice selection of colors for the project, the quality of the fabric is only fair. I am quite sure that not all the 'wool' was 100% wool. Real felted wool does not fray. The little red heart and the little hand were the only good pieces. 
  • I should have tried a different fusible.The Pellon that I use on cotton fabric didn't work as well as I hoped. Maybe Steam-a-Seam Lightweight II.  I do have some of that.
  • the wool thread is best left for embellishing motifs. Way too much drag when stitching IMO.
  • I know there was a photo in the kit when I bought it. I lost it and that made this a frustrating project. 
  • I like doing little projects.  
  • I will likely add more decorative stitching. 
    No, I didn't find it. I bought a new one. This one is soft cover with no spiral binding but the content is the same.
A quilt related addendum: check out the fun list of New Years Resolutions by Chris Jolly of the Fat Quarter Shop. I might make this list into a sampler and post it in my studio. See what I mean, here.

Comments