January, Pear Number One

Post Downton Abbey I think I have returned to a more rigid posture in my chair, I felt the need to dress for dinner (I have been ill remember, I remained in my lovely lounge wear with a little clorox stain on the sleeve) and my tea was served (by Mr. since I was ill, of course.) This whole sick but not incapacitated thing has its benefits! So much dressing and undressing for each occasion of the day would be exhausting. That reminds me, my riding outfit needs a freshening and my tiara needs a polish!
  http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35400000/Season-4-downton-abbey-35444104-245-260.gif

 A girl and her Pears. I have my kit all packed up and ready to go. But here's the clincher, I have apparently donated, tossed or otherwise misplaced all, yes ALL, my DMC, the cases and bobbins, all numbered and in order. I have spent the last several days in a feverish (figuratively and literally) search for said thread. I am almost ill over the whole business I must say. I had essentially all the colors except some of the pastels. So after moaning to myself and Miss Lucy I had to bite the proverbial bullet, I needed to replace the little dears. I have always like the quality of DMC floss and most of the charts I use tend to use DMC. Conversion charts are available but I just want to keep this simple. We have already started with a bit of a bumpy ride.   


It seems that my affection for the Precious Pear is a long standing one. I really didn't think about it before decorating for Christmas when I came upon my divine Mercury Glass Pears! These (4) were spotted in an antique/gift shop in the early '90's where I admired them and went home. Well, no sleep that night, back to the shop, bought them all. They are quite heavy to the touch and must be secured when hung on the tree. This year they were dangling from the dining room chandelier.
 
I decided to go for the mushroom linen for Pear number one. I used my serger to finish all the edges.
I cut out the pear shape from the provided template, laid it in a centered position on my fabric and traced 1/4 inch away from the edge and marked with a mechanical pencil. This simple method works on simple shapes. I discovered two things. 1.) I was too lazy (weary from looking for the lost thread)  to unearth my light table. 2.) I never do well taping up to a window because I always end up with some kind of vertical distortion. The pencil line will be hidden in the seam allowance when the finishing is done and 1/4 inch does not distort the shape of the pattern.  In this photo, if you look closely you can see my thread traced center line. Simple thread traced in 10 stitch increments. 

I am a hoop person. This wooden hoop is an old one, wrapped on one round with some bias tape for a hearty grip.
My chart is in its plastic sleeve, on its clip, ready to go to work.
My magnifier. You know, the last time I did this I did not need a magnifier. Some things have obviously changed. I also popped into the eye doc last week and ordered up a new pair of peepers. My vision on fine linen is only fair. Please excuse the background on this photo, I just wanted to share the magnifier. A photographer I am not, I just take pictures.




DMC Cross Stitch Floss


 In the mail stitchers...............the thread is in the mail!!!

If I happen to find the missing flosses, you will hear the moan across the state!

*Downton Abbey starts in 15 minutes, I'm out of here.

Comments

Jeanneke said…
I like your magnifier AND the magnificent pictures you take :>)
Cheers and a big Dutch hug,

Jeanneke.