How do you Finish the Pear?


Well, that's that. I have had this done for about 10 days but needed to do the finishing. I have to say that I like it, flaws, bumps and all.  And truly Stitchers we have some bumps. Now in the interest of full disclosure I will point out all the flaws in my Pear Number One.
  • Remember early on I switched from Linen to Aida? No major issue there for me until it came time to do the finishing.  Since this is a resurrected type of needlework for me I am living with a bit of a learning curve, a learn as you go, again. 
  • I really liked doing the cross-stitch. Really. I really liked collecting all the Prim threads. I have bobbinated the threads and placed them in neat little rows in their containers. What a wonderful and mindless activity to think and ponder all sorts of things.
  • You know I like things in neat little rows, in neat little containers. All the gadgets and widgets need to be accounted for, yes? Have I ever told the story of my first 'official' paycheck? Of course I was thrilled. We actually received paper paychecks then, signed by the hospital administrator. I was official. Anyway, the mind wanders. While all my class mates and co-workers were planning on their new clothes, new cars etc. I was making lists of all the storage containers I would need to outfit my kitchen, and all the specialty baking pans that would be required.  My cupboards were going to be neat, clean, containers all in a row. Since that time label makers have become available. I won't even tell you how thrilled I am with those, I have two.  I know.  What can I say?
  • I used some felted wool on the back of the pear, it was too stretchy. A wool craft felt would have been much more stable. Did you notice this is the second issue with flimsy felt in the last two weeks?
  • On Pear #2 I am going to leave my turning opening on the bottom of the pear, not the top. I fussed and fidgeted to get the top rounded but it has quirks. We'll just call that personality. 
  • Aida is not so good on a rounded seam. No wonder everyone prefers linen for something like this. Aida doesn't like to be round, it wants to lay square. Aida would be good to use for straight edge hanging pieces or even framed pieces though I doubt I would spend the big $ to frame an Aida piece after this experience. 
  • I used a lightweight fusible interfacing on the back of the piece. That worked out fine. I did a wee little bit of stuffing to puff it out a bit. Then I pressed the whole piece on both sides using a press cloth. I steamed and steamed. 
  • Next time I will put a bit of sand or sawdust in the bottom to fill it out. A weighted Pear is a Pear with a purpose. A Pear that sits nicely without complaint is a Pear with dignity.   
  • The stem and leaf are cut from felted wool scraps. I have some different ideas there too but I need to work it out in my head. Next Pear. 
  • PS, I think I am going to make another one, this pattern, in linen. I know, I know, just bear with me. Wait till I show you what came in the mail. The Santas and Samplers Blog has been a very strong influence on me. But then again, if it involves a needle I am already there.

Finishing a pear ONE METHOD HERE BY MARLY.

****Absolutely nothing to do with Sewtopia but I though you might enjoy this video, I don't remember early Motherhood being quite this contentious but I was probably just clueless. Check it out here! 

Comments