A Wooly Wednesday, the Finished Needle Book

It's done. It's not like it is supposed to be. Oh well. It's done.

That said my finishing is pretty simple. First I steam pressed the heck out of it. The wool side. The wool was rumply and lumpy. Using a press cloth it steamed up pretty good.
Then I stitched the Onsaberg fabric lining to the wool/batting piece, right side together.
Using my Kai dressmakers shears I was able to get a cut that I felt was better than the first trim with a rotary cutter. I trimmed off the corners, turned the piece right side out by cutting a little slit in the lining where the pin cushion would cover it in the final cover.
Little slit, about 3 inches.
I had a couple pennies left over from another project so I stitched one over the slit with smoke colored invisible thread, left a little opening, stuffed it with cotton stuffing, sewed over the hole and Voila' a pincushion seen in the above photo in blue and black. Another left over penny round was attached with the same smoke colored invisible thread and a V formation was applied to create a pocket for my embroidery scissors. I attach the scissor with the clip on telescoping fob. On the right of the photo you will see a button, this one backs the button on the back that secures the tab closure.
This is the back of the book where one can see the stitching from the penny rounds.
On the left side of the open book is a piece of red wool stitched into two little pockets to hold two different sizes of tapestry needles. To the right you can see evidence of the two plastic zippered bags are showing.
I had no idea of what I was going to do here so in conjunction with the printed page of directions that I did have I came up with this. I had a square of heavily felted wool in a dark charcoal gray. I placed the bags on the fabric, marked the hole placement with a little pen mark. Then I cut three strips, less than 1/2 inch wide by 6 inches. I divided them in half and stitched them down to the book in the three marked places. Bags in place and secure after a simple knot.
  • If I ever do anything like this again I will change just about everything.
  • Anytime I have made an item with a lining I attach all the inner pockets etc. Before I join the front to the back and the lining. This was entirely different.
  • Not all wool is good for something like this. My primary discontent is the large piece of herringbone wool/? that is used for the back and part of the front flap. I needs to be heavily felted like the fabric I used for the ties. The flimsy/whimsy stuff in the kit is just not firm enough.
  • I will use this for my Pear Project, just the right size and portable. I can tie my little hoop to one of the plastic envelope ties or I may just tack another one in there somewhere for that purpose. 
  • It still looks lumpy in the photo's but I don't think it is that bad. I re-pressed the wool after the final stitching and had a little more shrinkage. I see a wee bit of the lining poking out. Next time much more pressing of the wools before applying the lining. Toodles! 
Fiddling with the Little Things, quick, fun and functional. Fits my criteria for a project. 







Comments