I quilt, therefore I don't sew clothing! How many times the Sewist has heard this comment, and quite frankly uttered it herself. I readily admit to a minimal interest in fashion over my quilting years but not a total disinterest. I still follow several wonderful blogs that are dedicated to fashion sewing almost exclusively.
Of course the beginning of a New Year brings out all the best intentions of all of the needle artists but in recent years the discontent with RTW clothing has garnered a high priority in the news media, in books and in the blogs. Mostly ladies of every age, size and style are critically examining their clothing purchases with a keen eye. Even if one purchases only 'cheap' and disposable clothing you are wasting money. This topic has been bounced around endlessly and I feel no need to explore the topic again but I did want to direct your attention to those who continue the challenge of making or re-purposing all of their clothing.

In 2011 Sarah Gunn said no more! Goodbye Valentino is her blog dedicated to her personal challenge to make her clothing. A lovely, attractive and very talented woman, Sarah has advanced her sewing skills beyond what she ever imagined. Her gracious life is chronicled in her blog regularly. As a result of her work, a group of other ladies have joined the RTW fast and chronicle all of their work, results and process on a discussion board. The stories are so interesting, so personal and well....meaningful. If you are of a mind to follow this trend this would be a good place to investigate for information and support. I did a two year stint that I named my Mt. Everest Project. While I have a large wardrobe I chose to not buy clothing during that time. Last Fall I finished that project with little sewing to show for it because I really didn't need to make anything. Now, that is embarrassing. I could have been more active but it was mostly just an exercise to me.
Kristen, of the Colette Blog/Pattern Company is reviving the Wardrobe-Architect series for 2015. Her approach is very organized and broken down into learning segments that start at the study of your wardrobe to the sewing of the same. Anyone wishing to start a project like this might do well to follow these posts to help you get a grasp of the process and how best to make it work for you.

January is dedicated to "...finding your core style and explore shapes." Most recently I have noticed that most style and shape leans to casual or unbearably casual. That is not me. My at home wardrobe is basic. Mostly I wear comfortable knit pants or jeans and a long sleeve T shirt of some sort. A cardigan or pull-over sweater is worn more often than not.
In addition I wear aprons. Everyday. I am in the process of gathering fabric for some new ones. Since they are worn and washed constantly they show wear, usually within one year. This is no great wardrobe challenge I agree, but I make these key pieces with some TNT patterns and I might be looking at trying some new ones.
My public wardrobe is an upgraded version of this, sans apron. My public dress wardrobe is quite different. This is where I apply more design and fitting options. In March I am taking a two day school sponsored by my favorite sewing machine dealer to learn how to better use the embroidery capabilities of my new machine. You will not see me looking like an embroidered tablecloth but I would like to be more proficient in placement of the embroideries on certain pieces of clothing.
In conclusion, here in Sewtopia all kinds of sewing work is performed. One aspect of this is teaching my non-sewing friend some basic skills so that she can enjoy this wonderful activity. Having sewn since age 9 I can't imagine a life without sewing. She is learning how to make pajama bottoms right now. It is a journey, one that is good for the sewing soul. May 2015 be the year that you stretch your comfort zone and try some new activities within the sewing world and find a new passion.
Of course the beginning of a New Year brings out all the best intentions of all of the needle artists but in recent years the discontent with RTW clothing has garnered a high priority in the news media, in books and in the blogs. Mostly ladies of every age, size and style are critically examining their clothing purchases with a keen eye. Even if one purchases only 'cheap' and disposable clothing you are wasting money. This topic has been bounced around endlessly and I feel no need to explore the topic again but I did want to direct your attention to those who continue the challenge of making or re-purposing all of their clothing.
In 2011 Sarah Gunn said no more! Goodbye Valentino is her blog dedicated to her personal challenge to make her clothing. A lovely, attractive and very talented woman, Sarah has advanced her sewing skills beyond what she ever imagined. Her gracious life is chronicled in her blog regularly. As a result of her work, a group of other ladies have joined the RTW fast and chronicle all of their work, results and process on a discussion board. The stories are so interesting, so personal and well....meaningful. If you are of a mind to follow this trend this would be a good place to investigate for information and support. I did a two year stint that I named my Mt. Everest Project. While I have a large wardrobe I chose to not buy clothing during that time. Last Fall I finished that project with little sewing to show for it because I really didn't need to make anything. Now, that is embarrassing. I could have been more active but it was mostly just an exercise to me.
Kristen, of the Colette Blog/Pattern Company is reviving the Wardrobe-Architect series for 2015. Her approach is very organized and broken down into learning segments that start at the study of your wardrobe to the sewing of the same. Anyone wishing to start a project like this might do well to follow these posts to help you get a grasp of the process and how best to make it work for you.
January is dedicated to "...finding your core style and explore shapes." Most recently I have noticed that most style and shape leans to casual or unbearably casual. That is not me. My at home wardrobe is basic. Mostly I wear comfortable knit pants or jeans and a long sleeve T shirt of some sort. A cardigan or pull-over sweater is worn more often than not.
In addition I wear aprons. Everyday. I am in the process of gathering fabric for some new ones. Since they are worn and washed constantly they show wear, usually within one year. This is no great wardrobe challenge I agree, but I make these key pieces with some TNT patterns and I might be looking at trying some new ones.
My public wardrobe is an upgraded version of this, sans apron. My public dress wardrobe is quite different. This is where I apply more design and fitting options. In March I am taking a two day school sponsored by my favorite sewing machine dealer to learn how to better use the embroidery capabilities of my new machine. You will not see me looking like an embroidered tablecloth but I would like to be more proficient in placement of the embroideries on certain pieces of clothing.
In conclusion, here in Sewtopia all kinds of sewing work is performed. One aspect of this is teaching my non-sewing friend some basic skills so that she can enjoy this wonderful activity. Having sewn since age 9 I can't imagine a life without sewing. She is learning how to make pajama bottoms right now. It is a journey, one that is good for the sewing soul. May 2015 be the year that you stretch your comfort zone and try some new activities within the sewing world and find a new passion.
- I so admire those who have returned to sewing their clothes. Some sew everything, other are selective.
- I think if one is considering starting or returning to sewing garments, one of these online support groups would be a good idea. There is guidance and support on many levels.
- My biggest drawback to fashion sewing over the last 10 years or so (aside from quilting-te-he) is the limited availability of quality fabric. Other than a certain chain store pickings were slim. Some of that has changed and improved and the chain store is now carrying some much nicer fabric.
- No matter, if I have limited time I will still likely be piecing a quilt. What can I say?
Comments