String Quilts, Gotta Love 'Em! and This Week at the Ladies of the Cloth

While we all beaver away finishing our Christmas projects and plan for the Holidays I suspect I am not the only who takes a little break to just scan the internet for ideas. I am very fond of 'String Quilts' and cut many of my scraps into 2 1/2 inch strips using my Go cutter. I keep them in a bin just waiting for a goodly sized collection to start the next scrappy string. I saw this quilt the other day and just had to share it here. I have never seen this application and while I am not so keen on it I think it might grow on me. It has potential.








(details originally posted here.)

A Gwen Marsden design.


Like dots, string quilts call to me. When I saw this one on another bloggers site I was really intrigued.  These are little strips set in a crooked pattern keeping a fanned out appearance on each one then framed in black.


This is the final photo of the second row quilt The Ladies of the Cloth completed as a service project this fall. It is quilted and bound and sent off to a person in need.
Terri brought her current project. She is a beginning quilter and has adopted the small quilt experience to learn piecing and practice free motion quilting on this piece. Using Christmas styled fabric she is putting the binding to this one. She is hiding behind it by the way.
I wanted to show you a detail photo of the machine quilting in the border of the row quilt. Sometimes I think we over-do the work. This proves how perfect this quilting is for this quilt.

  • Remember to take some time for yourself during this busy run up to Christmas and New Year Celebrations. 
  • Remember to enjoy the quilting process and not fuss and fidget. Lets face it. We all want to do nice work and build on our skills but we are not splitting the atom here. Sometimes I see angst among quilting friends (Interestingly those who do not attend a weekly or monthly group session) and I feel great empathy for them. They are not having fun, enjoying the process, or sharing their work. It is 'not good enough.' No more of that.
  • Remember to not bruise your olives this season of dips and spreads. They will thank you for it. 
  • I am remembering this day. My Father passed 18 years ago.  5 days before his birthday. So many mixed emotions for me at this time of year. My gift to him is to respect my Christian heritage and keep Christmas in Christmas no matter what else has happened or whatever obstacles we face.

Comments