
One thing about quilting that I have learned over the last 10 years or so, little changes make big impact. We have a few members in our Tuesday group who can take the most simple block, change it up by color, pattern or tone and come up with a quilt that is as individual as the person who made it. One of my favorite designer blogs is Happy Quilting by Melissa Corry. What a great talent and resource she is! In a recent post she revealed how other quilt designers took one of her original blocks featured in Quiltmaker Magazine and mixed it up using different fabrics to create amazingly different quilts.
I remember seeing this block and remarking to myself that I think it looked like a great picnic quilt pattern. I love a nice picnic table with a quilt used as a table covering. I also learned that a meaningful purchase of some clear plastic table covering, at Joann's, with a coupon is a wise investment. Little ones spill and smear but so do the big people. Ask me how I know this!
OK, enough of memory land lets examine this project. Below is Melissa's original quilt made using that block, she named it Jelly Beans. Isn't it a beauty, notice the stars formed in the center of the block and the secondary patterns of four patch, bow tie and sawtooth triangles. Just think how many fabrics you could use if you made it scrap style.

And then by contrast another maker, a Quiltmaker Magazine staffer took the project and came up with this one!
This one was made by Jackie Hughes. Stunning. I don't want to re-write Mellisa's entire post but please pop on over to this post on Melissa's blog to read all the info and see all the other amazing quilts made using this block pattern.

Comments