First Monday of the Month-a Little Housekeeping

All About Antique Grain Sacks | On Sutton Place
source from here

Over the last few years I have visited blogs that feature antique French linens, and grain sacks are frequently offered. They are simple, usually white or off-white with a colored striping in blue, red and I have seen a couple in green. I suspect they were blue but some washing treatment caused it to turn green. Anyway, check out the cute little pumpkin too. As Sewists we can recreate this look easily with a textured fabric or linen toweling. The application of a trim to simulate the interwoven striping would be easy to replicate. The above photo reminds me of a Summer porch scene, I am a little off-season I think!  Please pop on over to the On Sutton Place blog, there are lots of ideas and inspiration there. 
Talk about wool inspiration! Yowsers, this little mat is just oozing with charm. 
source here

My Monday thoughts...........
  • Since this is the first Monday of the month I am here to provide the 'gentle' reminder to catch up on your mending.  Hem those pants, repair those little pops in your underarm seams, and please study your bed linens. If there is a rip in a hem seam do add a few stitches to maintain the integrity of the seam. So expensive, fine bed linens need to be cherished. I have some lovely little pillow slips that I have been using for twenty years. Really. They were made with Martha Pullen's batiste and Nelona. They had sweet little embroideries on the cuff. They are very gentle on sensitive skin as well as pretty. I have one little repair to attend to there. 
  • Another personal maintenance issue. It has come to my attention that some ladies do not understand how important it is to regularly clean your make up brushes. (if you use them) A gentle wash, I use a couple drops of Dawn dish washing liquid, and a steady rinse will clean them up quickly and then a reshape of the bristles and laid to dry, or stand in a glass, to dry. An unclean brush can lead to all sorts of skin irritations and we don't want that. Most of my dry brushes I do once a month but anything that is used with a moisture content gets cleaned once a week. My skin is so dry and sensitive that this is essential.
  • I am fortunate to have enough closets that I don't have to shift warm weather and cold weather clothes around during season change. But now is a good time to revisit your wardrobe inventory and make a list of basics you need to replace. Make sure Moths have not invaded your woolens during the Summer. That did happen to me once even with a bag of those toxic mothballs in the closet that were supposed to be on guard. Mr. had one closet just for his wool and wool blend suits. These were the days when a suit was the only acceptable clothing to wear in his office. The Winter weight wools were cleaned, stored in their muslin bags and the mentioned mothball place in strategic places.  Late September rolls around, he needs to go to a funeral for a co-worker and lo and behold, Swiss Cheese! Every single suit was ruined. I never saw evidence of one Moth, not one. What a disaster. 
  • Such little things when addressed in a timely manner can help avoid problems. And if these housekeeping items are addressed now you will have more time to quilt!  Toodles! and thank everyone for their kind wishes for Mr.s' health problems. With so much support I am sure we will weather this storm.
    Color, design, and patience. Some projects require a little time and space.

Comments