The Way We Were (are)!

crystal301
SOURCE
When you are fortunate enough to own a Vintage machine or two do you wonder about the Sewist before you who used this machine to make clothing for her family, quilts for her beds, possibly as a source of income? As I clean my machines and oil them I try to respect their history and use them now and then to keep them happy.

Many bloggers do a Throw back Thursday post to recall earlier days in their lives and highlight special posts on their blog. When I see old photo's I like to examine the details and imagine the history involved.  I recall early internet days where a handful of online retailers hosted message boards where like- minded sewists and quilters could share ideas and inspire each other. I met many friends there. Ellen Moore Thompson was one such retailers. What a great forum that was.
At one point we were all enthused with Redwork. I still am. Handwork done in the evening or quiet moment or two in the afternoon has a calming effect at the end or the middle of a busy day. This sweet little towel was my gift in our annual Valentine's Day exchange. My dear friend (an expert needle-worker)  Jean was my swap partner. Over the years we have communicated and shared many stories. The next time I visit the UK I will surely make time to visit.   Friends formed by this modern form of Pen Pal type relationship are very special. Our lives are enhanced daily by the connection we share.
I finished many of these little floral squares last Winter. They are waiting for some sort of assembly
 One of many, I am reminded of many partially finished projects....this whole throw back thing may not be the best idea!

Handwork is one of those skills that I find deteriorates if not practiced regularly. I have done little hand embroidery in the last year or so. I want to get back to that after the holidays. The chill in the air has prompted me to pick up my knitting needles again, that is a sort of handwork, isn't it? 

*Poor Miss Lucy is lost without her brother Auggie. I am hoping her spark returns soon. Sweet Lucy.

Comments