Some More Show Quilts for your Viewing Pleasure (since I have been totally useless this week!)

When I first started quilting there was a new little shop not far from my house. I would go in there and oogle all the fabric and all the new doo-dad's but had little idea what to do with the "Cathedral Window" template. I gave it a spin following the directions on the package. I still have the small table mat somewhere with the packed away linens but trust me, it was not as good as this one! Not the best photo but each fold and stitch down is done beautifully. I have never tried it again.

 I wanted to share the border quilting on the corner of the quilt. Simple, graphic and really nice for many styles of quilt.
 This one reminded me of one done by Husband's Aunt as a wedding gift for us. Every other block is embroidered. The quilting is also interesting.
How can you not fall in love with this beauty? My Mother would have loved this one in red and white. 
 In this show we saw lots of traditional quilting techniques with a little 'spin' on them. Like this one for BABY. Appliqued letters and elements give it personality.
Another old fashioned-to-me-looking quilt with pastel colors and the diamond pattern laced through. I suspect there is name for this but hoot if I know it! Some sort of Irish Chain I think.
And just look at these little pretties!

Have you ever considered using yo-yo's this way?
 Cross word puzzle anyone? Each of these letters were worked on an embroidery machine in satin stitch. Now are we talking patience here?
Just in case you get the urge, the name of the pattern.

*by the way, these photo's were taken with the permission of the show.

Comments

Jeanneke said…
Yo-yos in earlier days were called Suffolk Puffs, also used for quilt making. The puffs could be filled with (Suffolk sheep) wool to make the quilt a warm one. So, in Suffolk (UK) it was not much of a problem to get the wool stuff, you see? :>)

Cheers,

Jeanneke.
celkalee said…
What an interesting fact. I had no idea. It reminds me of a type of quilting popular here in the 1070's called puff quilt. Each square was filled with fiberfill and then sewn together. Recently I have seen them featured in new magazines again. Nothing is new I think! Thanks Jeanneke.