My Tool Time


another quilt from the Mon Valley Quilt Club-crazy isn't it? (((smile)))
What would a quilter be without her tools? In prior generations a sharp pair of scissors, a number two lead pencil and a piece of cardboard to cut a template provided the quilter with everything she needed after gathering her fabric, needles and thread. Things are a little different now.

I am a fan of tools, particularly sewing tools. Let me introduce you to a new best friend. I have been sewing in the evenings lately and admittedly a little tired. That translates to a crooked seam now and then. In March I picked up this little razor at my local sewing machine dealer's shop but haven't gotten around to using it much. My usual seam ripper was at hand and I was totally comfortable using it. However, once you get the hand of this little puppy the ripping goes lickety-split! Just be aware, it can also chew up fabric with the slip of a hand. Yikes!

see that little chewed up piece? Chomp, chomp. I thought I had a photo of the business end of this little tool, it is essentially a trimming razor. I'll snap one when I get a chance.
I  should be embarrassed with the obvious clutter in this photo. Strangely, I am not.

The Ott light has been around for some time now. I have had this one for several years. Originally purchased for Mr. Sewtopia to use while working on his stamp collection it was laying idle in his office. Rats said I and took it back. That was at least two years ago and he has yet to notice. Enough said. While I use it for its intended purpose of clarifying colors in my fabric choices I have begun to use it for general purpose lighting when doing intricate work. Even though my machine has "stadium" lighting the general lighting in my Studio shows shadows here and there. As a result one chops into the fabric in the seam with the little razor do-hicky rather than the thread to be removed. Again, back to the original reason for this tool time post.

And last but not least, meet my new little pin box. A nice long pin with a head that is color coded and labeled as  L for left, R for right, U for up and D for down. I used them recently when laying out the Batik blocks. I pinned them to a background fabric and used the pins to remind me how to sew the blocks to properly nest the seams and keep the colors arranged as planned. These are a Fons and Porter product, available on their website and at Joann's with a 50% coupon. Don't get much better than that cuties! 

  • I have always had a passion for the tools of this trade. 
  • I have a few other newer tools to share soon. 
  • Organizing the tools tends to be a little problematic at times. 
  • Tomorrow afternoon, hopefully, if the stars align, I will get some bonding time with my studio. I am in severe withdrawal. 
  • I have been working on the EPP diamonds. Talk about that in an upcoming post.
A little quote......

Incidentally, in Seattle they say you haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running! -- Jeff Bezos

Comments

ELMO said…
Just when I thought I was finished buYing pins. Good thing I'm moving and will have more space ;D
celkalee said…
The Sewist may cull the stash of patterns, machines, fabrics, trims etc. but there is always something new around the corner! The more room you have the more stuff you need:)