Tuesday Morning Musings, I was "Musing" on Monday but not Writing

August is full upon us. I for one am rather gobsmacked that we are in the last "official" month of summer. After church on Sunday I heard Mothers discussing the looming date to get the little ones ready to go back to school and teens excited for their Senior year. I could tell them about all the excitement of their Senior years but I think my context (of seniors that is) is somewhat different!

I have been searching my library for a pattern for a simple but pleasing geometric design as a gift for a family member for Christmas. Originally I wanted to do a Holiday themed quilt but saw the error of my ways when I realized that it would only see the light of day around the Holidays and we all know that I like what I make to be used, washed, etc.

My eye ended up back to the Half Square Triangle. My favorite combination of light and dark contrast would suit their decorating style. Fabric choices can stretch the design choice a million ways. Inspired by this quilt I searched the stash. Nothing hit me so a little shopping was required. I had the light I wanted to use but the colors....not really. While this little beauty has predominate red and greens mine needs to have a different color, tone and pattern. But now I had a direction.
Meet Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts.

So this is the plan. The fabric is from Moda's Dear Jane charm squares. Photos to follow. The colors are speaking to me. I will use the laser beam on my machine to mark the center of the 5 inch square and sew 1/4 inch on either side of that. It is a shortcut of sorts. I will give it a try. I sewed a few to test the prints with the Bella Solids, again, photo's to follow. Not a lot of contrast, not sure about this.

 There are a few of my favorite on-line quilters who never cease to amaze me.This is the work of Emma, young quilter extraordinaire. What talent.
You must see this amazing quilt and quilting!
  • August is the month that I totally strip clean my kitchen. It is a big job, that is why I break it down into workable segments and it takes a month! The kitchen china closet has been emptied, everything re-washed, furniture moved, wood polished, walls scrubbed. Therefore, the Monday musings turned into Tuesday Musings and the photo's of what I did get done did not get uploaded. A girl can only do so much, you know?


Comments