July 1, 2014. Do You Practice "Christmas in July?"


Photo

Disclaimer: remember that it is with honorable intention that I embark on this years July project.  It is my plan to list the projects I want to work on and hopefully complete with as much organization and regularity as my life allows. We all know how that works, yes?

A few of the Roses survived, this one is Christmas Red!
While I refer to this as a Christmas themed project, I intend to insert Fall/Thanksgiving elements as well. In summary, these projects will span July, August and likely some of September, realistically. Then I am ready for those times when there is not time to sew, to plan. Baking cookies and wrapping gifts and setting up my gift baskets will be unhurried.     


Stunning Astilbe, how can you not be enchanted by Astilbe?
The Scotch Moss is divine, just look at at this sweet, tiny little flower!
I have several small items that will be gifts, a quilt, maybe two, to work on, some ornaments and decor items. I have a pattern that I am in the process of designing that I will share, for free, for anyone interested. It will be a little Holiday/Christmas/Winter themed wall hanging. Making that little Fourth of July mini-quilt got my juices flowing.



Part of this project is to use the amazing components of my new machine. Too many times I have wondered what would I use this for when scanning the menu's of decorative stitches. I am going to find out. Bonding month as well here I think.

The plan:
  • Since this is the split week June/July of the month I plan to fine tune my list, gather supplies, make a shopping list if necessary and set up my task baskets. In my head I mostly know what I plan to make. 
  • Each week I will present my small project on Tuesday. Progress reports and photo's will be posted on Friday, a Finish Friday! Nothing like a deadline, right? July has 5 Tuesdays this year and 4 Fridays so this week is the starter. Individualize your list of projects appropriate to your needs.  
My List: changeable..... very ambitious, I know. But I like to plan big. Essentially this project should be termed the Third Quarter Get Ready for the Holidays and Don't Dawdle Project! Te, he!!!
  • By the end of the month I hope to have made a mini-quilt to finally hang on that little rack I picked up at the TRQ show in March. I know, don't say it.
  •  I want to make some charming little star ornaments one of our Sew and Sew members made last year as a gift.  star ornaments 
  • I want to make some wool ornaments, probably birds, stars and other nature themed items like pine cones etc. 
  • Speaking of wool, I want to make a new runner for my dining room table with a fall theme, probably a penny rug of some sort. I have a nice wool stash, tomorrow I will dig around and pull some fabric for this half-week project...get a jump so to speak. 
  • A chatelain.
  • A needle case or two. A keeper for crochet needles, probably 2.
  • A tea wallet. 
  • A Snippet wall quilt.
  • The me-designed mini-quilt.
  • Start one or two throw sized Holiday/Winter quilts. 
  • Embroider some stuff....I don't know what yet. 
So there you have it. Just remember if you are going to dream, dream big. If you are going to sew, make what you like, want, need. Remember also that any project needs to be fun, don't impose unrealistic expectations and then be disappointed in your progress or lack of progress. What ever you accomplish is still more than if you had never started. Yes?  

**********************************************************************************
Someone asked recently Why? Why do you go to all this trouble to make these things yourself when you can buy them at craft and bargain stores for pennies on the dollar? What is the attraction? Ahhh, if they only knew. In this post  By Sarai Mitnik of the Coletterie the answers are very clear and said with much more style than I can express. Just follow the link to read the article. She is referring to garment making in general but the premise applies to all arts and crafts.  

Have a great day....remember put on your thinking cap and make a list, or two!

Comments