In Progress-Tumbler tote

Hello all you happy Stitchers. It is impossible not to notice that those who are passionate about their needle work be it quilting, embroidery, cross-stitch, knitting, crochet, whatever, are happy people. Is it the passion of design, the joy of process or the completion of project? No matter what my quilting friends are great friends. 

That said, let me tell you about this small for the week.  Block Magazine, Volume 1, Issue 3. Regular readers of this blog know that I have embraced some of the principals extolled by Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company. I know many quilters who jump from masterpiece show quilt to the next masterpiece. That is not me. I don't have the patience or the skill but that doesn't mean that there is not one in my future. Right now I do what I like, what is fun and is useable to the recipient. In this new Summer 2014 issue there are some really nice quilts and small projects. This Tumbler tote bag/purse for example.
Last week I was playing around with the Tumbler die and my Accuquilt cutting up scraps from the little Flag Mini Quilt. A light bulb went off. So here they are. Please note that the cutter removes those pesky little tails as it cuts. The pattern calls for a 5 inch tumbler, my die cuts 3 inches. I adjust to size adding two extra rows and 2 extra tumblers on each row.
The front and back panels of the bag completed and fused to a stiffening product. I did not have the fusible interfacing recommended so I improvised. That might not have been my best idea. This stuff is stiff and I fused to the end of the fabric. I am not sure it will sew very well without a seam allowance. 

***I am thinking this version of this bag will be a tosser. 

Two and a half hours quilting Lola yesterday afternoon. My quilting pattern is called 'Florabunda' by me. It seemed fitting. My machine quilting stitch always ends up being very close, no matter how hard I try to increase my spacing. Some learning moments with the 16 inch Mid-Arm machine.
  • I am still glad I chose this machine. The sit down component, although it has it's limitations in comparison to a long-arm machine, is very important to me. I cannot stand up to quilt. Simple as that. 
  • I quilted many quilts on a domestic machine and the small throat space was a huge obstacle for me. So many others do such outstanding work on a domestic machine, just not me. 
  • She is a little 'fiddly' with the thread though.
  • The slower speed with the Tru-Stitch, 27% and 12 spi seems to work well for me after multiple experiments.   Well. at least until I find another favorite:)  
  • I have changed the way I work. Instead of dividing the quilt in quarters and working from the center out in each segment I have opted to quilt in columns, from one short side to the other. In doing this I am working on an area from 8 inches to 12 inches wide. I do not maintain a straight edge. I vary the work so that the edge from one row (top down) to the next row interlock, like a jig saw puzzle. Does that make sense? I will try to take some photo's tomorrow to explain better. Somewhat like a painter keeps a "wet edge" to permit one line of paint to blend with the next without a line. Good Night. 
Meet Frosty the Baby Goat Oh my!

Comments