Lets Talk about Size-Quilt Size and Yardage Chart



Hope this Monday morning is greeting you with the weather you want, your favorite morning beverage in hand and your electronic reading device well charged! I am always thrilled with Monday morning posts from my favorite bloggers. These ladies really put out the projects over the weekends in addition to tending their gardens, homes and families. Hearing of their weekend events always makes me feel like their are close friends, more than blog friends.

A recent conversation with Mr. Sewtopia concerned the sizes of the quilts I have been making. To him a quilt was always and only a bed-sized piece. That is all his Grandmother and Aunts made. His Mother was not a quilter. While she admires a beautiful quilt she was never bitten with the bug. My Mother never considered quilting that I know of. She made a couple dresses in the early 1960's but it was just not her desire to go any further. That said, I started making smaller quilts last year, throw-sized and of course many baby quilts along the way. I am starting to feel like "just how many big quilts do I need?" Well, truly, as many as I make I guess. Anyway, I saw this little chart on Facebook the other day so I thought I would share it here.   
How did you spend your weekend? Did you visit with family or friends? Did you sew or be part of a retreat? I spent most of mine un-stitching the Sunnyside quilting boo-boo, Still a little more to do. I picked lettuce, a banana pepper (1,)  parsley and some cilantro. Just let me say, the cilantro is going....like over to the compost pile. I absolutely was appalled that it smells JUST LIKE a smashed Stink Bug. I told Mr. S. to toss the whole row. Yuk! *****************************************************************************************************Long Dog Story Ahead, feel free to skip over it because it has nothing to do with Quilting.   Our lives were upended on Wednesday evening when our 14 year old Lab/Chow took a tumble down the steps. He is a very large dog, considered a giant and his pretty serious arthritis in his hips. He was up, walking very gingerly but not fussing much. By morning, he could not walk. It was awful. Mr. and I managed to lift all 110 pounds of him onto a moving blanket. Mr. S. drove the SUV up through the rain saturated lawn (we will have to do some work there!) and we lifted him into the cargo area. The Veternarian was amazed at how good his condition is for a dog this size at this age. She was sure he was raised with the best nutrition and care. Well, we had to tell her that he grew up in a fraternity house, my Son was at least the 4th master in less than a year. He ate cheese burgers and pizza and was used to having his own way. In spite of this, he is a very healthy dog. Since he lost his hearing, about a year ago, he has learned sign language. He is fluent with 11 signs. That seems to be all that we need to communicate. Anyway, they told us they would need to keep him 4 or 5 days to stabilize him, no bones were broken. Hefty doses of steroids and pain meds were used to start his treatment. By Thursday afternoon the staff intimated that he was pretty difficult to deal with. He was terrified and has never, ever been away from us. They worried that the stress was going to be too much for him. I decided then and there that he was coming home. We would manage, somehow. Mr. agreed. So we packed up again to retrieve him. He could not walk when we brought him home. He could stand for a minute or so. We carried him up the front steps and were quite worn out by the time we got him in the house. I don't think he even recognized us until Miss Lucy, his sister Lab came running out to greet him. He wagged his tail. He also suffers from a vestibular disease that makes the room spin and leaves him falling down. He is on medication for this. It is apparently not unusual in such an old dog particularly with a fall or something similar.   We have made amazing progress since Friday afternoon. He can come to a standing position with little assistance if his footing is secure. Carpet. I have rubber backed throw rugs all over the hardwood and the kitchen. He has even walked 8-10 feet totally unassisted. We have a large sling that we wrap under his abdomen to lift him and support him. He has told us every time that he needs to go out. God love him, he is so good. Poor Mr. has been doing the bulk of the care, he is much stronger than I. He is sleeping beside Auggie, on a cot. He will not let us out of his sight. He never wants to go away again. In the times to come we will have to deal with that, but for now, this is how it is. So please wish us well in this endeavor. This dear dog was my Son's best friend, his soul mate, his protector. We promised him that we would care for him till the very end. It is so hard because I fear the end is near. Lucy is 11 and still very healthy but some arthritis is affecting her as well. It is a blessing to see that he has improved. We are hopeful. Back on subject tomorrow, thanks for letting me vent.

Comments