A Little Bit of Quilting Magic-Meet The Jetsonst



I  have been scouring my blog and others for some ideas for children's quilts. I wrote this post in 2014, kept it as a draft and rather forgot about it. The finished quilt was gifted some time ago. It is a busy one. But I am thinking this might be a re-do. 

Thought I would share since it was never published. I took a class featuring the Accuquilt cutter. This is flannel fabric on a fusible, multiple circles cut then zig-zagged onto a flannel background. It was a fun project.  

So here they are, you may need something for motion sickness! I went circle crazy. Each block (the wild chevron pattern) was pre-cut with a fusible on the back side. Each one had the circle cut out of the middle and a solid circle fused to the main block. Each block is 10 inches squared. I really mixed it up. I think I will call it The Jetson Quilt. It reminds me of the era of the 1960's where all the talk was the 'futuristic' cartoons and Sputnik. It will go to a child.  I used Aurifil thread in a variegated blue, love high quality thread for work like this.  I added the white and off-white circles at the end as an afterthought thinking that I was going to need a way to tie-in the sashing.
Magic Kingdom-Magic from Ann Street Studio, here.

All righty then. Back to our favorite subject. Quilting. At our Workshop last week we worked with circles. I was so intrigued with the variety of pattern and design that can be developed from the lowly circle! It is a bit magical when I think about it.  I wanted to share my circles from that day. I have been considering different settings and still not come to a conclusion. In the above photo I am using a white flannel behind the blocks that are laid out to simulate the sashing in white. So my question is, is the white the right choice? Should the sashing be 2 inches or maybe just 1 inch? Should I choose a color? Blue? Yellow? This whole color thing is such an obstacle to me.  Sometimes I think I get it and then I look again and I am seeing a flash-back to 1971 and I feel the need to hang a beaded curtain! Help! Macrame anyone? Please feel free to offer opinions, I need help.













So there you have it, the old news. I hope the little one like the quilt, it was a lot of work...all that stitching😁

 I have another beautiful quilt to share in the next post. Have a lovely week end. Our Summer is wrapping up. You can see changes in nature and in the neighborhood. The kiddos are back in school and I hear chain saws all up and down the street as people are preparing for the fireplace season.



Older Ladies Video, a little risque, beware!

Comments

Jeanneke said…
I think 2" white sashings are quite right!
I remember the macramé era, did it myself, too :>)
And you know... I once made a beaded curtain myself, as well!!
This quilt will make a child's (white hospital)world colourful and happier, I am sure.
Cheers,

Jeanneke.